JoeCamaro

Tutorial: How to prep artwork for Layered Signs in Illustrator

I have been asked about how to prepare an artwork for layering and how to puch numbers into an item.

I tought this might be of interest for many of the forum members and that is why I prepared this tutorial.

1 Open Illustrator and make a new blank document.

2 Type your text. I used the word Telephone for the tutorial.

25970006sc6.jpg

3 Convert it to outlines (also knows and paths, object or curves) by going to Type > Create Outlines

46468091ig7.jpg

80146344kb6.jpg

4 Copy the item by going to Edit > Copy or ctrl+c on pc

topic,4605.0.html

5 Paste in front of the item by going to Edit > Paste in Front

52648241fo8.jpg

6 Change color of the new item that has been pasted in front. (*Note: Dont click anything in the artboard, we need to keep this new item selected all the way.)

41683618aa2.jpg

7 Send item to the back of the original item by going to Object > Arrange > Bring Backward

99104586vr2.jpg

Original item (black one) should be on top.

48201640ay8.jpg

8 Go to Object > Path > Offset Path

10pc5.jpg

This will make the bottom layer bigger.

9 A window will open. As Im using a small text I have to start with small values in the offset blank. I used 0.006 to start. Here you will have to play until you get something you like. If you put a value and you dont like it go to Edit > Undo or ctrl + z and then do this step again.

11li6.jpg

After value is entered this is how it will look. Red item (bottom layer) will grow bigger.

13bs9.jpg

12gi9.jpg

10 Save as an eps and cut it! Pretty easy, isn't it?

BONUS TUTORIAL:  Punch things to make various elements look good in one color decals.

11 Lets say you want to add flames to the word telephone and you want to make it one color. Draw or place your flames (or any object you want) in the artboard.

14jm3.jpg

12 Select it and send it to the back by going to Edit > Arrange > Send to back

15pe5.jpg

16vm0.jpg

13 Select the red Telephone Layer and the Flames. (To select multiple things select the one on top, hold down the shift key and select the other element, then release shift)

17ll8.jpg

14 Go to Window > Pathfinder

18ob5.jpg

15 With items selceted click on Substract from Shape Area in the Pathfinder window.

19jv8.jpg

20tl3.jpg

16 Change color as desired.

21dj6.jpg

17 Cut it and You are done!

I hope this tutorial was clear and of help for you. If you have doubts just ask.

Happy cutting!

JoeCamaro

thats really awesome! have you posted that in the tutorial section? i wish i had adobe illustrator. so far i am pretty sure i can do all that in signblazer though. thanks for the tutorial though i think i can actually apply some of that same principal in signblazer. i will have to try something like that.

bb

There was nothing wrong with it. I just changed the color of the rectangle to get a better view of it.

Then I selected the red 88 (make sure you select the red one and not the black one) and while holding shift down clicked on the yellow rectangle. Then went to Pathfinder and clicked on substract. That was all.

Attached is the file for you to see

881-13.eps

881-13.eps

Ok I tried this and and got the photo the way I wanted it but the numbers want saty with the flames when I move it. Here is photo when I made the decal in illustrator and also a pic after trying to the cut. Can someone tell me what I have done wrong. Was this meant to be a layered decal with the numbers on the decal if so that is not what I was wanting. I am wanting the numbers to be in the flames and cut around the number and let the flame like fade into the numbers so it will be one big decal.

Thanks

8822.eps

post-2133-12986516809862_thumb.jpg

8822.eps

post-2133-12986516823607_thumb.jpg

I also am having problems trying to get this to work correctly.  I could do the first half of instructions and it comes out fine, but when I try and do the second half at the end, I cant get it to come out nice like its supposed too.  Not sure where I went wrong. Here is a picture of the results and also the file if it helps.

post-1998-12986516896117_thumb.jpg

helpme.eps

post-1998-12986516919863_thumb.jpg

helpme.eps

Do you have 2 Edit Me Items? You should have 2 and one must be bigger (the one on the back) that the other.

I will check the file as soon as I get home later today.

Joe

Yep there are 2 edit me items.  Im not sure if I did a few undo's by the time I took the screenshot and saved the file ( I was trying to go back and figure out a way to fix it) but I had it right with the text being black and the offset text being red.  From my picture it looks like the arrangement was wrong when I saved the file to post.

Quick question, when doing the basic two tone text would you punch the background so that the other colour fits inside?

or keep both layers complete and layer the smaller letter ontop of the outline layer?

I wouldnt punch it. It is easier to just place the small layer on top of the big layer.

If you punch it then you have to perfectly align it inside, which can result in a great challenge.

If you would still like to punch it, then you would need to make to copies of the smaller layer, one of them to use as a punh and the other to cut.

Joe

Hey Joe, when are you going to set up training in PR for this??  :angel:

Well I need to confirm the amount of people that would attend it. Would you attend a sign prep class in a tropical paradise?

Joe

Most definitely!!!!  :angel:  I find ALOT easier when someone SHOWS me what to do!!

Jenny

Joe,

That is great for someone that uses AI but I have Corel and not AI.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. I have to start on this trailer for this fire dept this weekend with outline letters

allen

Most programs have similar functions and processes. I have no experience with Corel. Cant you figure it out in Corel based on this tutorial? I would suggest you do a search for Corel Tutorials or check here: www.pixel2life.com  or post a help request in the proper software help board. I am sorry I cant be of much help.

Joe

ok i kinda understand that, but what is the cutting process, if your cutting 3 colors whats the process

cut each layer (color) individually.

It your art has 3 colors, then when you go to your cutting software you set the size with all 3 layers selected, then there should be some squares (swatches) with the colors of the job, one square per color. You then click on the color you want to cut first, load the vinyl and cut, then click the next color, load vinyl and cut.

Joe