canuck1

Are you kidding me?!?!

If I'm correct Epson discontinued the WF1100 so the remaining stock is all there's gonna be. When they're gone that's it. I would never pay that for 1 anyways. The 2 1100's I owned I bought from epson.com directly.

Exactly jay supply is low (supply), and there are people out there that want them (demand). I personally would just buy a newer wide format printer.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have no intention of paying that much for a printer. I understand about supply and demand but, wow thats unbelievable! Are people actually paying that much for them? If they are then they have more money than me thats for sure.....lol

I don't remember them ever being $100 new. I thought they were in the $400 range.

When you say "heatpress stuff" are you referring to dye sublimation? Because you also mention vinyl printing and you can't do both on the same printer... DyeSub requires special 'high temp' inks and vinyl printing (at least on desktop inkjet printers) uses either pigment (preferred) or dye based inks.

If by "heatpress stuff" you mean printing to JPSS or 3G Opaque/Jet Opaque II type t-shirt transfers, then you definitely want to go with pigment ink, which you can also use for printing aqueous vinyl.

There are pigment and dye CISS packages available for Epson's replacement for the WF1100 and you can get a WF7010 with an empty CISS for ~$230 online.

When you say "heatpress stuff" are you referring to dye sublimation? Because you also mention vinyl printing and you can't do both on the same printer... DyeSub requires special 'high temp' inks and vinyl printing (at least on desktop inkjet printers) uses either pigment (preferred) or dye based inks.

If by "heatpress stuff" you mean printing to JPSS or 3G Opaque/Jet Opaque II type t-shirt transfers, then you definitely want to go with pigment ink, which you can also use for printing aqueous vinyl.

There are pigment and dye CISS packages available for Epson's replacement for the WF1100 and you can get a WF7010 with an empty CISS for ~$230 online.

Not really following your post OW. (Maybe I'm just thick this morning....lol)

Your first paragraph seems to say both can't be done on the same printer but then your second paragaph seems to say it can be done.

When I say "heatpress stuff" I dont mean sublimation. Will this not work with pigment inks?

http://www.stahls.ca/inkjet-transfer-paper

I paid a $140 for mine through epson a couple years ago. They weren't that expensive then.

I don't remember them ever being $100 new. I thought they were in the $400 range.

I got one online for $99 shipped a few years ago.

Not really following your post OW. (Maybe I'm just thick this morning....lol)

Your first paragraph seems to say both can't be done on the same printer but then your second paragaph seems to say it can be done.

When I say "heatpress stuff" I dont mean sublimation. Will this not work with pigment inks?

http://www.stahls.ca/inkjet-transfer-paper

Yes, you can do that with a  pigment printer.  When I hear people talking about using a WF1100, I immediately assume dye sub work as that's what a lot of people are using them for.

Most people refer to "heatpress stuff" as "T-shirt transfers", vs. dye-sublimation or heat pressed vinyl, which are also technically "heatpress stuff".  :)

If you're looking to print on vinyl, then you'll be very limited in options using a desktop inkjet printer - there is a limited selection of vinyls that accept aqueous inks.

You'll definitely want to go with pigment inks for t-shirt transfers or for printing vinyl.

I purchased my WF1100 from a forum member.  It came with refillable cartridges and a large supply of high temp inks - so much so that they went bad before I could use them all up.  I recently purchased a generic CISS off of ebay and filled it with fresh Cobra Ink high temp inks and it's made a world of difference in final color output, and it's so much easier than using a syringe to refill those old cartridges...

You can buy a brand new WF7010 for around $200, a generic CISS for it will run you about $40 on ebay and then you can get the inks from Cobra Ink (four 4 oz bottles is $51.99) to fill it up yourself.  Or you can buy the whole kit and kaboodle (printer, CISS and pigment inks) directly from Cobra Ink for $359.  They no longer pre-install the CISS kit, but they will walk you through the process and provide phenomenal support if you need it.  I would love to see a 13"x19" version of the WF4020 - it has internal, re-fillable 4 oz. ink cartridges and so no need for a CISS kit.  I love my WF4020 - would love it more if it could do up to 13"x19"...

• Like 1

Or you can buy the whole kit and kaboodle (printer, CISS and pigment inks) directly from Cobra Ink for $359.  They no longer pre-install the CISS kit, but they will walk you through the process and provide phenomenal support if you need it.

I didn't even notice that they don't install anymore. That was the main reason I bought my last 1 from them so I wouldn't have to mess around just plug and play.

Thanks OW, your last post is the reason I love this forum. Very knowledgeable people who pass along their knowledge to the new guys in a friendly and informative way. That's all great information and I learned more from it than any post I have read elsewhere.