Sign in to follow this  
shainad21

Mimaki cutter trouble...

Hi all... Using a Mimaki CG-60st and it has worked wonderfully for me, until yesterday. It now, all of a sudden, cuts all the way through the vinyl on one side, while working perfectly on the other. I've tried changing every setting available, pressure, offset, speed, positioning of the blade, using different types of vinyl, and can't seem to get it straightened out. Has anyone else ever run into this problem? If so, help please?!?

Did you check your cutting strip?  Make sure down all the way across and no gouges?.  Temp fix is put some reflective vinyl over it until you can get a new cutting strip, If that is the problem. 

if it is even possible for the blade to cut thru you are using too much blade exposure . . .  and what skeeter said.

Cutting strip looks good, seems to be even all the way across, but will try the temp fix and see if that helps. As for the blade exposure, in the past that's all I had to change, but now it's uneven across the plane of the cutter, if that makes sense. So when I take the blade in for less exposure, it causes it to cut fine on one side and then not cut at all on the other, so just the opposite problem I'm having now. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

If your blade is set correctly, there would not be enough blade exposed to cut all the way thru the backing.  Something is uneven.  Gouges etc.   Look inside the blade holder for small pieces of vinyl stuck.   Try drop of fine oil in blade holder, Blade must spin freely. 

• Like 1

Ah, that makes more sense than what I was trying to do. I was adjusting blade exposure with the outer sleeve still on the machine. Working on it that way now, and hopefully will have more luck. Thank you both!