Sign in to follow this  
New kid on the block

Getting started soon

Hi Guys,

First to share some good news my son and his wife are having thier first baby. I have purchased a cutter; the US Cutter 721 and I have 3 jobs lined up. I will be getting the cutter at the end of the week. I will need lots of help because I have never used a cutter but my friend has. 2 jobs are to make lettering for the store fronts at the flea market where we are and the 3rd is to make a very large sign on the side of the flea market mall outside; each letter 24". Do we put the vinyl directly on the brick or do we put it on a material that can be moved from location to location. I don't even know if vinyl will stick to brick :o HELP, HELP, HELP! The flea market owner is letting us use him for practice since we have a space there.

Torita

Guest Terry

You won't have fun cutting 24" letters on a 25" cutter, you will be in to the wheel tracks.

rotate across the vinyl,cut the 24 inch letters long ways,down the roll. I've never been able to get lettering to stick to brick very well. You can either do a banner ( I can tell you where to go for the big ones cheap) or you can get 4x8 sheets of coroplast and combine a few. Personally I would go with the coroplast. The other day I noticed a coroplast sign on the side of a place I go for breakfast sometimes and asked how long it had been there. He said 6 years and it still looked great,

John where do I go for the cheap banners. I went to a site that was shared called ordway and they seem to have good prices. I have also priced blank banners from local sign shops they can get pricecy. I can beat a lot of the prices to get starter jobs because I don't have much over head. I'm going to the library to get some books and videos on sign making any suggestions on authors? Thanks again for all help.

Torita

Guest gracewriter

"You won't have fun cutting 24" letters on a 25" cutter, you will be in to the wheel tracks."

Woe!  This is not good news!  I bought this cutter because I wanted a minimum of 24" letters.

What's the maximum width I can expect to get out of my 25" cutter?

Thanks!

John where do I go for the cheap banners. I went to a site that was shared called ordway and they seem to have good prices. I have also priced blank banners from local sign shops they can get pricecy. I can beat a lot of the prices to get starter jobs because I don't have much over head. I'm going to the library to get some books and videos on sign making any suggestions on authors? Thanks again for all help.

Torita

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,4558.0.html

"You won't have fun cutting 24" letters on a 25" cutter, you will be in to the wheel tracks."

Woe!  This is not good news!  I bought this cutter because I wanted a minimum of 24" letters.

What's the maximum width I can expect to get out of my 25" cutter?

Thanks!

I would guess 24" since that's the biggest width that will fit (one letter at a time), however, if you do like John suggests, then you can basically make the letters as tall as you like, and you would only be restricted by the width of the letter itself.

If it's anything like 15" vinyl... I would guess you would only be able to get 22 1/2" to 23" out of a 24" vinyl.

If it's anything like 15" vinyl... I would guess you would only be able to get 22 1/2" to 23" out of a 24" vinyl.

I don't think the 24" stuff is usually punched, so you can pretty much max it out, although there are those little red carriage buttons to avoid  ;)