Sign in to follow this  
Zal

Avery Reflective Vinyl Tech Q HELP!

Heres a tech question, we are using white reflective vinyl by Avery on a Vacuum truck, the box that the vinyl is going on was painted about 3 days ago, but was put outside in the cold after the paint had hardened. We brought the box in, put the vinyl on and now it bubbled so bad it looks like spray on bed liner for a pick-up.

I am thinking this reflective vinyl is not "breathable" like regular calendared, which the box has on it too but it didnt bubble, that is FDC brand. It could be the paint wasnt fully cured that helped in the bubbling. Is there a more "breathable" version of the relective? Any thoughts? i will attach pics.

Thanks,

Zal

post-1496-12986516623085_thumb.jpg

post-1496-12986516661066_thumb.jpg

I am no expert, but I don't think the paint had enough time to cure properly. From what I know most paint manufactures recommend 2 weeks to a month curing time.

You nay have a reall problem on your hands here -- I would get started with a pin - bubble popping time!

lol, it's easier to rip it off and start over. I dont think the box had enough time to cure either. I think it had more to do with putting it outside in the cold after the paint hardened to the touch. We have another box we did that stayed inside for 4 days and it looks fine.

Yea - fresh paint don't like the cold -- chemicals don't evaporate properly that way.

Good luck ripping it off without taking the paint with it!

It came off easy, the adhesive was left behind, a lil bit of laquer thinner took it off. Good news is 3M nakes a breathable reflective white, it has a cross hatch pattern to it. It went on real nice.