Sign in to follow this  
haumana

cleaning the blade

I know time and time again, a dirty blade can wreak havoc on the vinyl. I wanted to know what you guys use to clean the blade with. I guess I've hit a point where my blade and the blade holder started to accumulate some adhesive and just wanted to know what you guys use to get the gunk off.

Any suggestions are welcomed! Also... would it be a good idea for me to have one or two 60-degree blades on hand, or are the 3 45-degree ones that shipped with cutter enough for me?

Let me know your thoughts  :o

laugh all you want but I use charcoal starter fluid. Very cheap and works great. Also good for removing grease pencil marks from banners, in fact scuff marks from floors,grease from your pants... At $1.50 a quart,it is something I get a LOT of use out of. PLUS it lubricates to some extent as well.

In 30 years in the upholstery business,it saved my butt MANY times by removing marks from upholstery,leather,etc. You can also use lighter fluid like ZIPPO makes but this stuff is a lot cheaper.

cheap and flammable. excellent combination ... I usually don't have that around the house, as I use a gas grill, but will definitely pick some up the next time I out. Thanks for the advice!

well,yeah it's flammable but not nearly as much as gasoline.The kind I get has the type of lid that even if you knock it over, not much will spill out. But,strictly speaking...anything that will cut the adhesive is likely to be flammable.

good point John -- although Goo Gone works good for removing adhesive I haven't tried it for blade cleaning yet. 

Goo Gone. Good one. Never crossed my mind.

How do you guys think WD-40 would do? It's supposed to be a (mild) adhesive remover too, right?

i definitely would not clean or lubricate any part of the cutter or blade holder with wd-40! it will gather dust and become gummy. if you lube the blade holder with anything at all, you should use silicone spray sparingly. besides i think the holder bearings are sealed to keep contaminates out, and that won't let any lube in either. i have over 15 years of auto repair experience, and wd-40 is evil!

m2c

bb

AMEN on the WD40 --- that stuff is the worst you can use!!!

I used to be a believer, till I had equipment ruined by WD -- never again!!

Goo Gone is a great cleaner and will also lube -- Silicone is my first choice for lube - unless wood is involved.

Thanks guys. I wasn't intending to use WD for any type of lube, just as a cleaner for the blade and the face of the blade holder that adhesive was starting to accumulate - no direct spray, just on a bits of gun cleaning patches to wipe it down ... although, do you think it would be okay to use some of the gun cleaning/protection stuff to clean the blade too? (i.e. Gun Scrubber Cleaner http://tinyurl.com/3747rv, CorrosionX http://www.corrosionx.com/hd.html, or Break Free http://tinyurl.com/2edgmq). All of them are classified at cleaner-lube-preservatives.

I know that Goo Gone is cheap, but I have the other stuff readily available. (This is where the frugal-miser comes out  :o)

i would avoid lubricating with anything oily, as it will attract dust and become gummy.

bb

I was in the upholstery business for 30 years and used everything available to lubricate my sewing machines. I have yet to find anything liquid that will lubricate and not attract dust,and that includes silicone spray. Clock oil is the closest (and if you know clocks you know that dust is a no-no). But it is expensive.

Good to know. I never fail to be amazed at the insight this forum provides. You guys are awesome.

You have to clean your blade!!!:o???  :D I havent yet, not with a chemical anyway