Sign in to follow this  
jaybyrd

flexi starter vs. scalp

Just a quick comparison between Flexi Starter 10 and SCALP. This is based solely on cutting ability since I refuse to design in scalp:

2 words describe this  NO COMPARISON.

That is all, sorry for the interuption.

Jay

Please elaborate for the ones who have no Idea what you prefer and what you like.

You will find that Flexistarter can import A LOT more file formats than the other cutting soft wares.  I have used Flexistarter since 2006.  Great cutting software. . 

For starters when I hooked up my qe-60+ on scalp I lost advance after cut and sort by color. Also everything I do in scalp bogs the computer down.

Flexi starter                                                                            scalp

contour cut                                                                             contour cut

set multiple copies in cut window                                           nope

cut by color                                                                             yes but not with qe60

advance after cut                                                                    yes but not with qe60

rotate on cut page                                                                   nope

Mirror on cut page                                                                  nope

weedlines                                                                               yes

haven't looked into possible trace yet                                    exceptional trace program - about the only thing I like about it

ability to grow with your needs                                               nope

Can actually design and node edit                                         made my head hurt and almost stopped my computer

Will add more as I get time to explore the program more.

For the price you can purchase scalp for on ebay I spent $10 and got way more functionality

Jay

Oh and Flexi doesn't seem to have issues with eps files which is huge in this industry.

You cannot trace with Flexistarter...

Are you able to use the Graphtec Cutting Controller with your QE? 

Tried the graptec controller and a couple other things and they don't recognize the qe60 although I think if they had the Graphtec controller looked promising. A quick question in flexi starter is there a way to adjust advance after cut. At least it's not rewinding like it was in scalp but would love to set it to come out an extra inch so I can cut off w/out manually advancing.

No, you cannot adjust advance after cut...  But did you go into Default job properties and Click ADVANCE after cut?

Yeah and what it does is stop at the end but I still need to wind out about an inch to get to the cut area. Kinda funny but with scalp and the LP and LP2 I could set the amount of advance to get it right on the cut off line.

Just curious, have you tried running it on CE5000-60?     Just wondered what it would do... or nothing.   Or act strange., LOL  

Graphtec software will not connect with a Q series machine at all. No point in even trying. 

I tried that in scalp and nada, zip, zero, zilch. I just got Flexi installed this afternoon and haven't had much time to play with it yet but I will try in the morning to see what it does. Even set to the qe at least I was able to switch commands over to the computer  for press., speed etc. Ovarall really happy except wanting to advance 1 more inch.

Mopar I can vouch for that. I have Verizon for internet and after downloading everything I could think of to get this to work I finally went way over on my usage which I never do. They may be mechanically the same but the software is programmed to recognize Graphtec only and it knows instantly something ain't right and doesn't do anything.

You can use the arrow down  on your machine to advance more,   but an extra  step..  I can  also use the arrow on my Graphtec Cutting controller to advance. or I can use my arrow on my keyboard. After clicking, USE KEYBOARD

and I iwll bet your offset is set to 0 is flexistarter like in most other programs

Yes, Offset is zero.      I have my knife offset unclicked in Flexistarter,,  I run from my Cutting Controller..   But I do put my packet size at 1000kb.  It seems to help with large decals.  and my Curve quality at medium,

LOL - Skeeter, he had to set his offset in scalp to some crazy negative number to get it to cut right - I know our graphtecs are all set to 0 in everything else ;D

Flexi = developed and tested in the industry

Scalp . . .  .not ready for prime time even though some functions work well like trace

LOL - Skeeter, he had to set his offset in scalp to some crazy negative number to get it to cut right - I know our graphtecs are all set to 0 in everything else ;D

I remember that.. 

Ended up -3 in scalp. At the time I was just happy to get in dialed in so I could turn a few jobs but glad to be past that mess. When running the cutter through Flexi what should it show on the cutter itself when you look at the display?

My offset is ZERO on both Graphtec Cutting Controller and my vinyl cutter. Unchecked in Flexistarter

Should speed and force read zero on cutter or? I'm still showing setting on display from when I had to run through cutter and I think I may be stacking info like double speed and pressure, just want to make sure

Where are you wanting to control from?   I control from my Graphtec cutting controller, and whatever I have on my controller, displays on my machine.  If I change  settings on my controller, those changed settings display on my machine. 

When using the Cutting controller,  I am on Condition 9.  That is all I use. 

post-40404-0-24759800-1368638488_thumb.jThis what I see in Flexi so I'm assuming I can run like graphtec controller but I'm not sure.

There is a couple of them checked in my Flexistarter  but my cutter is not using those settings at all.      I don't know if you have settings on your cutter like mine.Mine is an FC model..  .  But my cutter has Manual or Program..    I run on Program.. 

Dakota has the LXI, and a CE5000,  your cutter is closer to his, than mine..    He should be able to tell you how he runs.  LXI is Flexi software also.