Andrew67

Just Starting Out

my most humbling experience was when I went to work for a GIS shop - that was some hard software

• Like 1

LOL...Slice, thats funny. I know it`s going to take time and i'm willing to put in the work to learn. My main reason for this post was find the right direction to start and you guys have helped me out great and i appreciate that. I`m sure there`s some good stories out there on how it all began. I one day will have mine.....lol

Thanks again guys..........I almost forgot.....Go Leafs Go !!

Ive been doing this for about 14 months now. Im and about 98% self taught. Almost everything I know is from pushing buttons and seeing what that did. Sure there was a lot of cursing and swearing. Countless hours staring at the computer screen and hitting the undo button.

Ive had a few sticking points and I came to the forum for help. I showed what I had done and these people gave me tips how to move past my troubles. I suggest that to you. Show an effort and people will help in a heartbeat. There have been tons of people on here just looking for a hand out. Those dont last long. They get frustrated and give up since "no one will help" 

Ive been doing this for about 14 months now. Im and about 98% self taught. Almost everything I know is from pushing buttons and seeing what that did. Sure there was a lot of cursing and swearing. Countless hours staring at the computer screen and hitting the undo button.

Ive had a few sticking points and I came to the forum for help. I showed what I had done and these people gave me tips how to move past my troubles. I suggest that to you. Show an effort and people will help in a heartbeat. There have been tons of people on here just looking for a hand out. Those dont last long. They get frustrated and give up since "no one will help" 

I hear you with the staring and cursing....lol. 

I just finished my first self appointed project. I have to see if the boss likes it and i will post it then. My boss is a good friend of mine, we'll see what he says.

The before and after. The before is the one with TMS Graphics & Signs. The after TMS Graphic Signs & Custom Apparel.

post-41918-0-55608000-1367941434_thumb.p

post-41918-0-11804200-1367941555_thumb.j

Not bad. So right now you have a vector graphic from what I can see here at least. But this isnt cuttable, well it wont cut well at least. If you want to cut this you need to get rid of that light source or whatever its called in the TMS. Then youll need to get rid of that black outline around everything. Thats called a stroke. I have no idea why its there or how to disable it. Took me a few decals to figure this out but if you click on the object, say the maple leaf, in the bottom left there is a color box and then below it is a black box for the stroke. Right click on that black box and click remove stroke. Sometimes itll say unset, remove that stroke too. If you leave it, your cutter will cut inside and outside of that line.

Ok, I can see some nodes out of place in the hook of the 'T'

Good catch. Dont forget to review all images in outline mode. View>mode>outline, I believe. 

Not bad. So right now you have a vector graphic from what I can see here at least. But this isnt cuttable, well it wont cut well at least. If you want to cut this you need to get rid of that light source or whatever its called in the TMS. Then youll need to get rid of that black outline around everything. Thats called a stroke. I have no idea why its there or how to disable it. Took me a few decals to figure this out but if you click on the object, say the maple leaf, in the bottom left there is a color box and then below it is a black box for the stroke. Right click on that black box and click remove stroke. Sometimes itll say unset, remove that stroke too. If you leave it, your cutter will cut inside and outside of that line.

Ok, i will fix that....Thank you !

Ok, I can see some nodes out of place in the hook of the 'T'

Ya i just noticed those.

Good catch. Dont forget to review all images in outline mode. View>mode>outline, I believe. 

Ok, i'll check that out....Thanks !

Fixed up......i believe.

post-41918-0-20843300-1367987212_thumb.p

And the final product......

post-41918-0-84289000-1368022460_thumb.p

Thanks to those that helped me out.

I can`t find that option, what`s it under, view, object, layer, path ?

Never mind, found it...under view as you stated....lol

View>display mode>outline 

Looks like the stroke is still there. 

i came from a graphic design background before getting into the vinyl cutting stuff it was a huge learning curve thats for sure but you have to keep trying things and keep googling to find your answers.

the people here are very helpful but they also ask that you try and help yourself first before asking for handouts.

i came from a graphic design background before getting into the vinyl cutting stuff it was a huge learning curve thats for sure but you have to keep trying things and keep googling to find your answers.

the people here are very helpful but they also ask that you try and help yourself first before asking for handouts.

I race RC offroad trucks ( 8th scale truggys ) and when i first started out my new friend that knew pretty much everything there was to know about the setups of the trucks, engine tuning etc. He taught me No Ting.....lol, even when i asked he said just play with it you'll figure it out. To make a long story short since parting ways with him i have leaned more in one year ( compared to 3 ) then i did with him. I would have been so much better if he would have helped out just a bit.

Morel of the story, everyone needs help with something, giving guidance, direction and help is not " holding your hand ", yes it is handouts and we all could use some, nothin wrong wit that. As we all know we still have to do the work on our own.

Thanks again for the advice, it did help.

Have a great day !