Sign in to follow this  
davlow06

Any new software for cutter

I am a returning user after a few years and really just stopped using my cutter due to what I think of as "dated" software.  The Sign Cutter software.

I want to get back into cutting vinyl again but wanted to know if there is any new software available for the cutter that can be used.

Thanks!

lots of options just depends on budget - for the best flexi pro -  cheapest sure cuts a lot pro3 (Hobby software still being developed)  in between winpcsign, ve-lxi-(various versions), flexi starter, signcut (not a design software just cut so has to  be used with another software), many more

lots of options just depends on budget - for the best flexi pro -  cheapest sure cuts a lot pro3 (Hobby software still being developed)  in between winpcsign, ve-lxi-(various versions), flexi starter, signcut (not a design software just cut so has to  be used with another software), many more

Thanks for the quick reply!  I have used the signcut but like you said, with other software to bring in the design TO signcut.  I just don't like that you have to use the trial on it, and it looks so old and dated.  Plus, I don't think it works very well with the cutter.  I have had too many issues of the cutter stopping in mid cut on bigger projects.

One thing I've had to do already with my cutter, is replace the motherboard once.  So far, I haven't been impressed with my cutter because of that, and the stopping of cuts in the middle of the project.  I'm wondering what some issues could be, like possible static electricity.

Does anyone think other software besides signcut would work better with the cutter?

I am willing to bet you are really using signblazer - the problem with cuts stopping is not the software - with the value cutters memory and the flaky usb connections are the problem - get a dedicated computer and go with serial connection to cure that problem

• Like 1

many peopl also use a keyspan brand usb to serial adapter with a null modem cable successfully.  personally I like the dedicated computer with the serial card - always ready to go no matter what

• Like 1

WOW.  I just checked Flexi Pro, and ha ha, you have to be a professional to pay out the bucks for that!  

What do most people use to cut with on here?

many peopl also use a keyspan brand usb to serial adapter with a null modem cable successfully.  personally I like the dedicated computer with the serial card - always ready to go no matter what

Thank you dakota.  Good point.  I will get the cables and give that a try.  And you're right, it's been a while since I've used the software, but that is it, signblazer, the free software that came with it.

for the price you can't beat signblazer - but winpcsign was good when I used it - if you design in something else just use flexi starter to cut with

• Like 2

I use sure cuts a lot pro I use the silhouette cameo and the MH series cutter it works fine but want to build a dedicated computer just for the serial port.

I use sure cuts a lot pro I use the silhouette cameo and the MH series cutter it works fine but want to build a dedicated computer just for the serial port.

I think I had an issue before with this, using the serial port, and it wouldn't recognize the cutter.  I admit, it's been a while since I've done anything with my cutter, as it's been sitting in my shop unused, but best I remember, I had a heck of a time getting the usb to usb even recognize it.  Is there a good FAQ or step by step walk through of connecting the MH cutter to a computer and the signblazer software?  I have a computer that I would use as a dedicated computer, running Windows Vista.

xp is more stable but heck give vista a try - with the usb you have to remember to install the ftdi drivers to allow it to communicate (available in support/download area on usc)  on the serial you have to use a NULL MODEM serial cable for it to communicate - a regular serial won't work

• Like 1

I'm back!!  Many suggested changing the cable and here are the questions I have.  I am using a pc with vista.

1-if I use the usb to serial null modem cable, which end should the usb be connected, the computer or the cutter?  Does it matter?

2-With the usb to serial or serial to serial null modem, would one work better than the other?

Dakotagrafx, I'm getting the same thing as the poster on my MH871, the cutter stops occasionally during cuts. I don't have a desktop so I can't use the serial cable. Are you saying if I get a Null Modem SERIAL cable to USB, will that help out the issue with the cutter stopping during cuts? Will this one work..http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369367489&sr=8-1&keywords=null+modem+serial+cable+to+usb

Thanks in advance!

it has been said hundreds of times the keyspan brand of adatper gives the least amount of problems - many people have tried other cheaper usb to serial and then had to by the keyspan  brickwall.gif   search is your friend - little box at the top right of your screen . . . .will save you lots of headaches

For the cost of adapters you could probably get a used computer with xp professional there are a lot on e bay and most have lpt ,serial and usb ports easy to use and very stable .

Oh yeah the software issue signblazer is about as good as you can get especially for FREE easy to use lots of features and along with inkscape you can create and cut about any thing you could desire . Some newer files won't open in signblazer but can be opened in design software saved in a older version then signblazer will open them .

xp is more stable but heck give vista a try - with the usb you have to remember to install the ftdi drivers to allow it to communicate (available in support/download area on usc)  on the serial you have to use a NULL MODEM serial cable for it to communicate - a regular serial won't work

I just picked up a nice Toshiba A105 Satellite, XP like my other laptops  on Ebay from a computer store, for total $78. including shipping..  got it yesterday.  Great laptop.. had some scratches on the cover, no big deal to me..  that makes 3 I own..  My son only has I computer.   So, Never know. I already have it set up with every thing.   Ready to cut.  There are still many great deals on the Big auction site.  Many people think they need the newest and the best.  Not true...I have always ran on XP... for going on 7 years.

• Like 2

I just picked up a nice Toshiba A105 Satellite, XP like my other laptops  on Ebay from a computer store, for total $78. including shipping..  got it yesterday.  Great laptop.. had some scratches on the cover, no big deal to me..  that makes 3 I own..  My son only has I computer.   So, Never know. I already have it set up with every thing.   Ready to cut.  There are still many great deals on the Big auction site.  Many people think they need the newest and the best.  Not true...I have always ran on XP... for going on 7 years.

liked the toshiba's other than the power plug is very weak - we had about 5 of the toshibas and ever one of them broke - 3 I sent back under warranty for repair - 2 I pulled up the cover above it and JB welded it in place.  back to hp here.

I am with you Skeeter why pay the big bucks for a computer for your cutter and have all the intricacies of the new operating systems . The ones I have bought have been all commercial ( off lease units I would guess ) I bought 2 extras but so far still using the same unit I started with 4 or 5 years now . The disc drive went out so I installed a new cd Rom instead of switching all my files to another unit . I bought mine just the tower and they threw in mouses and key boards without any monitor I use a 41 inch tv/monitor I had . Of course I am frugal I use everything till it can't be repaired or reused anymore .

• Like 1

Okay update on this with some questions as well.

Computer to Cutter issue:

I got a usb to serial cable, but it wasn't the keyspan.  Shouldn't this work just as well?  I'm not sure what the difference between the "keyspan" and a typical usb to serial is, but I installed the drivers and it found it in the Signblazer software.  So the com port 6 was found and I adjusted it in the software.  The problem I had, was that when I sent the image to the cutter from Signblazer, it completed in the software, but it never started cutting.  With my usb to usb, it works, just not well, with the typical issues of stopping in the middle of cuts.

Signblazer issue:

When I use this software and choose to continue in trial mode, I have used it hundreds of times, so it goes through this process of counting up to how many times i've used it before i can continue, taking quite a while to get there.  Is there a way to bypass this?

Okay update on this with some questions as well.

Computer to Cutter issue:

I got a usb to serial cable, but it wasn't the keyspan.  Shouldn't this work just as well?  I'm not sure what the difference between the "keyspan" and a typical usb to serial is, but I installed the drivers and it found it in the Signblazer software.  So the com port 6 was found and I adjusted it in the software.  The problem I had, was that when I sent the image to the cutter from Signblazer, it completed in the software, but it never started cutting.  With my usb to usb, it works, just not well, with the typical issues of stopping in the middle of cuts.

Signblazer issue:

When I use this software and choose to continue in trial mode, I have used it hundreds of times, so it goes through this process of counting up to how many times i've used it before i can continue, taking quite a while to get there.  Is there a way to bypass this?

search is your friend as this has been covered a hundred times, no it will not work just as well, big difference in the chipsets in these - also did you use a null modem serial cable to connect to it?

I do apologize for the duplicate questions, but sometimes, I feel that new information may be found that I didn't find while doing searches.

The usb to serial cable was not a null modem, so it looks as if I'll need to order one of those through amazon, or perhaps check a radio shack.

The signblazer software, from what I've seen on my searches, one said the patch is no longer available:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/41337-signblazer-problem/page-2?hl=%2Bsignblazer+%2Bpatch#entry320839

And this search keeps stopping me from downloading the zip file because my software stops the download saying there is a trojan virus attached:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/40395-questions-before-upgrading-cuttersoftware/?hl=%2Bsignblazer+%2Bpatch#entry310204