Sign in to follow this  
coloradokev

Letter sizing help

Woo-hoo!

I got my first job "out of the blue" making up some specialized signs for a real estate agent I know.  They will go in the front windows of some of the houses he has listed.

The question I have is:

Is there some published guidelines as to the "proper" sizes for lettering, based on distance from the reader?

So, if I'm in my car looking at a house from the street, what size lettering would you use on an in-window sign?  The sample text I made up is 5" high.  Any recommendations/insights?

Thanks,

Kev

Guest Terry

Well, with the sign being x amount of inches, the ratio of the text can only be x amount of inhes. LMAO, never mind I don't know how to put it in words, talking out my A$$. ;)

I don't think its as much the size of the lettering as the clutter. Some people want to put TOO MUCH info on a small sign which makes it hard to read. Leave plenty of space between the lines. And RED,always red.

Guest Terry

I don't think its as much the size of the lettering as the clutter. Some people want to put TOO MUCH info on a small sign which makes it hard to read. Leave plenty of space between the lines. And RED,always red.

One thing about RED Banner, I was in the printing business for 30 years and for some reason alot of papers said no red on publications for senior citizens, I don't know why to this day but it's a tough color for old people with eye trouble I quess???

I Have learned 1in for every 10 feet.

To read it with ease and good visibility.

1in-10ft

2in-20ft and so on.

mark-s