BearlyRich

Outdoor sign material help needed!

Looks like I'm going to have to make an outdoor sign for a project my wife manages. We're talking now of a 3'x4' sign supported by two 4"x4" posts. It may get bigger by the time everyone is done discussing it all? My first thought was exterior plywood.  Then I started putting more thought into it...

Yes, I did a search of the forums going back several years ^-^  I've seen suggestions of plywood, MDO, Alumalite and some others. Seems Alumalite might be a bit expensive...

Now if someone has experience and would like to comment, I would greatly appreciate it as I have zero experience outside of making small coroplast yard signs...

One other thing. Since my wife manages this project and it's a non-profit thing, I may be picking up the tab for the sign. So cost is a factor :blink:  Would be nice if I could pick up the material at a Lowes too as by the time they decide on what thjey want, mailorder might be slow and add expense? I'm already going to have to buy a new roll on vinyl for this and who knows what else? I do however want this sign to look good and last for a goodly time.

Any help and suggesttions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Rich... :bear:

Our State highway dept uses MDO for outdoor signage. I've had excellent results with it.

Like John said Mdo works great they don't stock it at your local home center usaly special order . Diabond is a great working substrate. Pre painted 3/4 mdo runs me about 70.00 ea. Diabond about 90.00 . Regular plywood painted won't do as good a job and other jobs can be won or lost on the quality of this job . Just my two cents

• Like 1

Since I might be able to get MDO locally, even if it has to be ordered, it might be a better idea.

Now MDO doesn't come painted as far as I can tel and no matter how well constructed it seems the edges should be sealed also. I would suppose that an oil based primer/paint would be best. And considering being used with vinyl, would a gloss finish be better. Would seem right to me but I would also worry about the vinyl sticking to a new oil based finish. Hmmm?

The mdo from the home centers will need painted . I use a all purpose fast dry oil base primer from Sherwin Williams then a good acrylic paint top coat standing between coats . 1 coat primer 2 coats finish take careful care around the edges filling any voids before painting .

All the prepainted panels I use have a gloss you can get a matte finish in diabond but I don't care for it .

Thanks! No problems putting the acrylic on top of the oil primer? And just to be curious, what do you use for the edge filling?

This sign hasn't been finalized yet but it's coming soon...

:bear:

Okay, why won't the Firefox spell checker work here? Not good! :-X:blink::bear:

The oil base primer is all purpose will accept any top coat . For the edges I use u channel that caps the edges and gives a nice finished look . You can use any good exterior grade filler on the voids and prime and paint good .

Dan