SurberSigns

how many amps/watts is the MK2

You bought a $30 kill a watt ez meter from home depot.

It shows you 10-21 Watts and amperage load under 1 single amp.

Why would you be concerned?

Plug & Play.

Arise, zombie post, rise!

Ever since reading about the suggestion of possibly going solar combined with car batteries, I've been looking around and found this setup at Harbor Freight Tools -- http://www.harborfreight.com/Solar-Panel-Kit-45-Watt-68751.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiODA3MDE1NjQiLCJza3UiOiI2ODc1MSIsImlzIjoiMTQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg1MjcifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

It's a 45W output solar array with electronics that you attach to a 12V battery and then attach up to a 300W inverter to provide 120V electricity.  I'm 99.999% certain I won't be able to run this continuously even in direct sunlight, but if I turn on the inverter only when I need it, I think I can get quite a bit out of it.  In addition to the 12V outlet for the inverter, it also has a 2nd cigarette lighter port, a USB port, a couple of 3-6-9V DC outputs and two special power ports for the included cold cathode white lights. I'm going to be running a booth at the upcoming Pro Balloon Races (I have no idea why Ottumwa, Iowa has a professional hot air balloon race every year, but it's a big event with carnival rides, food vendors, live bands, and more - it runs several nights in June and stays open well after dark, so I'm going to need lights.

I ordered the array tonight using the coupon code on the Harbor Freight website, which brought it down to $149 - with tax and their $6.99 shipping it ended up at around $165.  I'm planning to start with 1 marine deep cycle battery for power and make sure it's fully charged before leaving home, and then see how long it lasts out in the sun.  I will report back once I have more information.

In reading the reviews it looks like each array can charge up to two car batteries at the same time.  If that still doesn't provide enough power, I can always buy another set, but at that point I think I might be better off spending the money on a quiet Honda generator instead - hopefully this will at least get me going.  Should keep my cell phone charged, at the very least!

Just a thought about the foregoing battery / inverter / cutter plans...

The inverter itself uses a certain amount of battery amperage in addition
to the 110 vac watt requirements of the cutter itself.

I don't know what that load is.  I have three different wattage inverters in the coach
for different load needs.....  
Simply plugging in the inverter creates battery draw. 

(Learned that from leaving the little 50 watt inverter on accidentally all day long
and nearly killing the coach battery)

In the reviews for the solar array there was mention of a low-draw inverter that switches itself to a lower power mode when there is no load on it (turns off the fan, etc.) and then turns itself back on when a load is put on it - allegedly that helps to make the charge last longer.  The inverter I have now does not have that feature, so I'll need to remember to turn it off when I'm not in need of 110V power...

Wifes journey came with an inverter built in - love it - no longer need to take the separate one.