Sign in to follow this  
DavidHamp

vinyl printing vs Sub printing

So i have been doing alot of research and just cant figure out what direction would be better to go. If i should have my next purchase be a actual vinyl printer/cutter or a New cutter that can do contour cutting and a dye sublimation printer. All the stuff i find online is from years ago and most everyone says stay away from sublimation cause you can only do light color shirts is this still true?

My long term goal is to own a novelty shirt shop in my small hometown but out the back of the shop still do signs and vehicle stuff and possible even tint.

I know the printer cutters are very expensive but I could do full color banners/vehicle graphics, and shirts. The cutter i have know does need to be replaced it doesnt cut very smooth and is very old I was told it was bought used off ebay in 2001 only thing i know about it is that it orginally came from sign warehouse.

I'm thinking about selling my 2nd car for around 3k so that i can invest more into my business and just dont know what way to go any advice from already established guys would be great.

I might wanna add also that i understand that vinyl printers are very expensive about 8500 for the roland. I would not be able to buy this til next year so thats why i was wondering if sublimation is a good way to go cause then i would but either a graphtec or the roland gx-24 and then pick up a printer and the materials to do dye sublimation.

the dye sub will be for light shirts only and must be on polyester shirts - but it produces bright vivid prints with no hand whatsoever.  on the printer/cutter - best advice was given not long ago - visit someone with one and learn about it before you buy one - it is not a buy it and forget it type of purchase- it needs much attention and constant maint.

DTG is the way to go if you want to do more than just vinyl, just remember ink isn't cheap there's a slight learning curve setting up artwork.

DTG aren't any cheaper than printers and dare I say, maintanance is probably worse... same advice apply, if you want to get a DTG, talk to someone who owns one and learn more about it.

I might wanna add also that i understand that vinyl printers are very expensive about 8500 for the roland. I would not be able to buy this til next year so thats why i was wondering if sublimation is a good way to go cause then i would but either a graphtec or the roland gx-24 and then pick up a printer and the materials to do dye sublimation.

As for the Roland at $8500, you're probably talking about the BN-20. Know that media at that size is very limited and it also limits you to what you can do. After talking to several people, there are definitely more ink waste on the BN-20 than on the bigger printers. Unless you have a true need for metallic or white ink, you probably want to steer clear of them - they are too expensive to waste (CYMK 220mL costs $65 each, white is $110, metallic $230) and they clog easily...

I bought my printer at Denco Sales... and according to their tech, they receive more service calls for the BN-20 than any other printers. Reasons being - metallic ink is just trouble when it's not being used and most who buy this printer doesn't have enough work to keep it running. It's never a good thing to let your printer sit. BTW, a good printer can be had for under that price. I bought my printer as a dealers demo for $7k, with new printheads and other consumables installed prior to delivery, and came with a 1yr service contract.

like hockeygirl said - dtg is prone to clogging - look around at the ones for sale - many say they need maint or have just had a major overhaul - 

i have heard anything that prints white ink is pretty hard to deal with humidity has to be watched very carefully. I guess i dont get how to make money then i'm starting to see people want multi color blended colors. I dont have the space for a screen printer setup right now and want to be able to do photo-relistic.  I honestly have no idea how to do multi color for vehicle graphics i tried to layer one once and it was sooooo hard to line up and the expeirece i had with wet app was unforgetable was awful. Are there other options i dont know about? I always thought that color printing was the way to go.

It can also be printed on opaque material for blacks. I print on Siser Colorprint and they can be applied to light and dark shirts.

If you're getting some requests for printed work, but not enough to justify buying a printer, outsource them... there's more money to be made that way.

I have a large involvement in Michigan's MMA scene so I know that i could have a large amount of work done with that. Heres an example of an image of the gym i train at logo that i made.

The old screen printer that did the first shirts outsourced it and the shirts were awful so idk if he went through someone cheap or just didnt know what he was doing when he sent it out

I would sub out printing until I could justify the outlay for a printer . There are two printers here that I use when I need something printed . I just add the cost plus a nice markup to the price . I haven't offered t shirts or novelty type graphics just signs ,banners ,lighted sign faces and custom built frames for signs . If I would offer t shirts or large volume coro job site type signs I would sub them out to a screen printer not touch them and make a good profit .

Dan