sleeveofwizzard

Pricing help on large wood sign please

I am getting the hang of vinyl pricing but I have no clue what to charge for a wood sign with installation. It will be 1 sheet of thick plywood with to  3 sandwiched 2 x 4s on each end to hold it up. I will be digging and cementing it into the ground.

I estimate the construction will take me 3 hours and the install around 2 hours. Materials maybe around $60 -$70 so the only thing I came up with is around $450 for labor and materials, what do you guys think?

Ted I would be aboutt $650.00 plus install on 3/4 inch mdo prepainted double sided with simple logo and wording . I do installs with 4x4 routed to fit the mdo and inserted into the routed channel . Usaly I put a cap on my post to dress them up a little. I would be about 150.00 on the install about 2 hours .

Yikes, I was a bit off then. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The office I am moving into is shared with a graphic design artist and he is subbing the sign out to me. He will be printing out a large format print to go on the face of the sign. Any idea how to install a print like that onto the wood?

One thing to check is does the city or county want you to pull a permit for putting up a sign.. the cities around me require permits for permanent signs.. fyi..

Also here small ones like that are considered temporary . For larger signs and lighted signs you have to have your sign specs reviewed by an structural engineer to determine wind shear load and if the proposed structure is adequate and signed by him before being granted a permit .

Dan

Yeah I figured, the city I live in is really strict on signs, banners, and balloons. You need a permit to do anything and the city only gives them out for special occasions. I put my bid in for the sign so now it's time to wait. I did bump up my price to $650 thanks to your recommendation. I threw in the installations though because this is being subbed to me from my new business friend. Thanks for the input guys, it is a huge help.

This is a good thread, I just got asked today to do several of them for a friends site development business. How well does the MDO stand up to the weather? Here in Fl. it gets quite humid and since we're coming into rainy season, it'll be getting wet daily. I was thinking about making them out of aluminum panels and attaching them to square galvanized poles so they can reuse them from job to job. Opinons?

The mdo sign board works well just fill all voids in the edges and seal well . I just use PT 4x4s for mounting . Most are for real estate , project signs and for coming soon type signs that stay there 3 years LOL .

Is $350 too much for a 4x8? The planned sign will have a printed graphic on it and decorative posts. I'm looking at almost $250 in materials. I will be installing as well.

I would be at $300 on max metal 1 sided cash and carry. Basic install with posts would be $425, plus permit fees.

Jay

Is $350 too much for a 4x8? The planned sign will have a printed graphic on it and decorative posts. I'm looking at almost $250 in materials. I will be installing as well.

Actualy too cheap 4x8 on 4x4 pt post I would be about 600.00 at least plus install

Man I wish but around here I can barely compete at that price which is sad. Trying to outlast the competition so prices can come back up to a liveable level. Kinda throw up a little when I get underbid at that price.

Jay

WOW --- how can you all even pay for the gas to get it to the customer at them prices? Full sheet lettered on posts for 350? Even 425 for a full sheet seems extremely low to me. I would close the doors today, move to Florida and shovel snow for a living as that would be more prosperous. 

That job sounds fun! I went low on my original quote because I don't know better and because it is a subcontract through an associate of mine. I rebid the sign at $650 and should hear back this week from the customer. 

Luckily we have the cheapest gas in the nation. Honestly don't enjoy working for peanuts but when the economy tanked everyone around here got supercompetitive for a dwindling market and I have seen a few go under. I'm actually starting to raise prices back up as the market seems to strengthen around my area. I probably should of quit a couple years ago when it was real bad but I'm too stubborn or stupid or both.

Jay

Luckily we have the cheapest gas in the nation. Honestly don't enjoy working for peanuts but when the economy tanked everyone around here got supercompetitive for a dwindling market and I have seen a few go under. I'm actually starting to raise prices back up as the market seems to strengthen around my area. I probably should of quit a couple years ago when it was real bad but I'm too stubborn or stupid or both.

Jay

Our gas has thankfully dropped to the mid 3 .50s from near 4.00 during the winter that has helped some it hurts like hell to drop a hundred dollars on a fill up the old ford truck with two tanks that total 37 gallon figure that at 3.80 ouch . But luckily I dont compete for jobs signs are somewhat of a side line abd only generates 40,000 to 50,000 a year my handyman service is the main money maker and luckily I dont have to advertise anymore as I have a steady clintel and stay as busy as I want to be now a days

Haha, at $350 simply delivered I'm making almost $200.

Now let me state also that I still have yet to pay myself and don't see that happening till MAYBE 6 months from now. I recycle everything back into working cap, equipment  and materials. I still work 55+ hours a week till I have enough steady business to make it my only gig. I sleep around 5-6 hours if I'm lucky. I heard a phrase a while back that has driven me very hard.

"Success is living your life for a few years the way most WON'T, in order to live the life most CAN'T"

I guess I should start having the wife call around to other shops to get quotes on jobs before I quote them.

I comparison shop on occasion but in the end I know what I need to make and use that to base my pricing. Just keep my prices competitive with the locals and hope for the best.

Jay

• Like 1

I don't compete with no one refuse to I make my price or turn down the work . I used to work 70-80 hrs a week but always paid my self my family is very funny they like to eat and have a roof over their head .

• Like 1

I make a living, just not a great 1 but working on it. This is how I pay my bills and eat no second paycheck here anymore. Kinda miss it though.

Jay