Sign in to follow this  
Rmedoc

Mobile Business - Need help with power

Good Morning everyone.

Well, my business is starting to gain popularity due to agressive marketing at my local youth sports programs.  As such, I have been thinking about putting together a 6x12 trailer so I can pull right up to the venue and make my graphics and shirts there instead of taking orders, going home, and coming back a day or so later or hassle with shipping.  While I am not going to offer my full catalog of services, the simple jobs should benefit and some people just prefer to get their products "now."

I have a few questions about mobile power, but couldn't find anything using the search function. I just want to make sure I am planning for enough power to run the setup.

Here is what I am planning on for on site equipment -

Laptop

24" Monitor (helps customers see the design before printing)

SC 24" Cutter

Heat Press

Cap Press

RV size A/C unit to keep everything cool in the Texas sun

Lights

I am thinking I can run everything with my generator that is currently on my trailer we use for camping.  The details of that are below:

420cc, 6500 Watts Max/5500 Watts Rated Portable Generator

four 120 volt, 20 amp grounded receptacles, one 240 volt, 30 amp grounded receptacle and one 12 volt DC cigarette lighter port

More is always better when considering power reserves is the way I look at it, but am I souring enough power or do I need more?  Is it way overkill?

Thanks for the help folks. I appreciate it!

Craig

I would say that generator will run the air conditoner or the heat press   a decent heat press is going to run 20 amps by itself - I know my camper air runs close to 20 amps. . . .now add the hat press (another big heater (power user) .

make sure you have adequate surge suppression also = when the air or heating elements kink on and off you will get some wild spikes

I would consider adding a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) to your equation - they help smooth out transient power spikes and drops and keep them from reaching your expensive equipment, plus will give you a few minutes to shutdown your computer in case the generator dies and keep you from losing your work.  I would NOT plug the heat press or hat press into the UPS as they aren't meant to handle that kind of current flow.

• Like 1

Read all your rating plates add all the wattages to see if you go over 5500 watts I would bet the ac is over half of that and even more at compressor start up . A standard coffee make pulls 1500 watts while brewing . My emergency backup generator at home is 10;000 watts and takes care of the lights freezer ,refrigerator etc but not me elect furnace/ac unit

Read all your rating plates add all the wattages to see if you go over 5500 watts I would bet the ac is over half of that and even more at compressor start up . A standard coffee make pulls 1500 watts while brewing . My emergency backup generator at home is 10;000 watts and takes care of the lights freezer ,refrigerator etc but not me elect furnace/ac unit

my 6500 watt will do the furnace, refrigrator, freezer but not ac . . . . I am sure if the refrigerator, freezer and water pump turned on all at once I would have a problem

Thanks for the assistance folks.

I am debating whether or not to just run 2 separate generators; one for equipment, one for AC/lights when needed.  Good thinking on the UPS, I will definitely add that to the mix.  Never realized how much power draw there was from a heat press until I actually thought about it.  I may have to just focus on decals in the mobile world for now and take orders for the shirts.

Time to get out the measuring stick and see how much space all of this is going to take to make it comfortable.

Never realized how much power draw there was from a heat press until I actually thought about it.

My Geo Knight draws 1800W all by itself.  I can't even use an extension cord without the cord getting uncomfortably warm to the touch...

i have a food concession trailer and i had to go out n buy a 200 amp generator just to keep my stands going. its crazy how things can add up real quick. 

That is what I am saying a coffee maker pulls 1500 watts my furnace ( elect ) is on a 60 amp breaker my ac compressor is on a 20amp it adds up fast . A blow dryer about 1200 watts . Thr computer and cutter hardly any power. Then your lights x the number of lights and watts per light .