Dark*Star

How do I cut only half?

Greetings,

How do I make a 48" decal with a 24" cutter? How do I cut just the top and then the bottom? Is this possible? It's about 8' long by 4' tall. I have seen it done before but can't figure it out. :(

Paul

Put your design in cut/plot,>  choose panel.> chose 1/2

Your Flexi software should automatically do that, as you cutter is only a 24" cutter.  It should show that in the cut/plot screen.

• Like 1

I  could not cut a 48 inch decal in half on my 24 inch cutter because I have to allow a little on cutting on the 24 inch width. So to cut a full 48 inch decal on my 24 inch cutter I would have to panel it for 3 cuttings with registration marks to line it up. Might just be me and the way I cut on my cutter.

Thomas

• Like 1

Dark*Star,

I know your question. It really comes down to to your understanding of measurements and scaling. I don't mean on a computer, but in real life.

You may need a better understanding on how your software handles this.

• Like 1

Hi Paul Maybe I can help.  First open your design in flexi.  Second click the Cut/Plot icon.  The Production Manager will open which you can minimize.  Now you should have the Cut/ Plot window open as in picture one.  You won't need to cut your design in half, The production Manager will do this in the Cut/Plot window for you.

Picture 01. General Tab

#1.  You will need to set the width of the vinyl.  I have it set to 23 inches, my plotter will not cut the full 24 inches because of the pinch rollers. So set your to what the max width your plotter will cut.  

#2.  Make sure you rotate the vinyl so you're cutting horizontally.  

Picture 02. Panel Tab

#1.  Notice the panel is 48.2", that's because there is a .1" border around the whole panel.

#2.  Flexi set the Tile height to 22.9"  and set the number of tiles to 3.  I don't know if you can change the number of tiles due to the width of the vinyl you are using.

#3.  Look at the tiles 2 tiles will be 22.9" and the bottom Tile will be 2.2"

Picture 3 (Panel Tab (same as Picture 2)

#1.  I reduced the height of the tiles to 16"

#2.  Notice how the bottom Tile is now about 16" also.

#3.  This is overlap it's set to .2 which is a little less than 1/4"  you can set this higher if you want more overlap. or set it to 0 if you want to butt the tiles up to one another.  I suggest you overlap.

Just remember that if you make each tile 16"  you will have approximately 8" of vinyl by 8' long times 3 of scrap that you can use on another project.

I hope this helps.

post-24657-0-13144600-1360635697_thumb.j

post-24657-0-71431500-1360635712_thumb.j

post-24657-0-89021500-1360635727_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the people. I am just getting used to flexi as I was using a different programd because they stopped supporting Windows 7.

I understand the scaling as I I can only cut 23" on my machine. I am learning to like flexi though. Only because of the fine people here that can walk me through what might seem like a stupid question to you is a very important one to me. I appreciate the responses. Thank you so much!

And Doug, pics on top of that? Nice!

Thank you guys!

Paul