Sign in to follow this  
constricted

First Big Job-- 40 Trucks.. Multiple color design.. Pricing.. -- Few Questions??

So my friend got me my first real customer. He works for a construction equipment company and his boss needs the doors on 40 trucks done. The decals will be approx 27"x30" and its a 3 color design (but I would like to be able to quote for 1 & 2 color incase they change their mind on the design). Customer is going to do the install.

Should I use Oracal 651 or 751?

I've done a good amount of reading and theres lots of mixed opinions. I also know about the cast/calandered, the difference in thickness and shrinking. Also take into consideration that I've never used 751. I've used 651 on 2 trucks a year ago and they've been holding up fine so far.

What should I charge him?

- size: 27"x30"

- qty: 80 

- need quotes for 1, 2 and 3 colors
 - how should I price 651 vs 751? (in 1 , 2 & 3 colors)

This is the largest job I've got so far so I would really appreciate any help. I've been using a craftrobo for small decals I sell on ebay for around a year so I'm a semi newb. I have done my fair amount of reading and lurking on this forum. I'm going to be ordering either a 50" SC or TC cutter tomorrow, just trying to make up my mind still. I wish I could afford a Copam or Graphtec but I think the TC will be a nice upgrade from my little craftrobo.

I would suggest 751.

But, this is for 651. No discount for quantity.

Remember, since it is customer install, you should be layering them before you hand them over.

That would be a lot of time if they are going to be three color.

Single color $4536.00

two color      $6804.00

three color   $9072.00

if you want i can print these for you. they will be contour cut. this will make your and their job way easier for the install.

pm me for a quote.

if the multiple color design requires critical registration, I would def recommend having these printed and contour cut, or there's gonna be some messed up graphics you'll probably be asked to replace, and even then the customer might have trouble, I would just charge him to to do the install, or make it clear that if he does it, he must pay for replacements

• Like 1

I'm sure he will pay for replacements if they mess up the install..  the design isn't very complicated so far so I think I will be fine..  I've attached a concept of the design that he came up with for reference (this isn't the final design). There will be one more line of text with the address under Equipment Rentals

hspm.jpg

also, i've been reading that some people have problems with air bubbles when layering vinyl prior to an install.. think this will be a problem since the customers doing the install? 

LOL,  hate to say it,, but of course it will.  I have customers, who probably shouldn't be applying BAND AIDS to anything..,  LOL and they are trying to do $100 decals.  :rolleyes:

Give them some good instructions, youtube videos...   It takes practice, practice, practice..

Just saying, you don't know what some else's skill level is, or their patience level is.....

Yea I know, I figure they cant be tooo horrible at it because they applied decals on all their trucks before (they were only 1 color though)..These will be replacing the old design. I'm just worried about bubbling with multiple colors because I've read about people getting bubbles when prelayering the vinyl prior to install.  I'll be giving them the vinyl prelayered and ready for install, so as long as what I supply them is bubble free I'm all good. If they create the bubbles during the installation that is not my problem