mr300s

They want to buy my Image How Much?

I have a Company that wants to buy rights to a logo that I had created. I had paid Dan to draw me a image I wanted to use on a shirt. Someone has approached me and wants to know if they can buy the rights to the logo and they want to make a few minor changes to this.

I have never had any dealing with something like this and have no idea what folks would charge for something like this?

I only use this design on a few shirts etc...

What is your feelings on this'

IMG_2901.jpg

I have never priced a logo, but I am a photographer and price photos as well. Rights to an image, or logo for that matter, is something substantial to sell. I would consider usage and placement that they are planning on using it in. IE, with a photograph, if a person was buying the rights to reproduce a photo of mine to use in a one time advertisement, I would license it to them. If they are going to make this part of their permanent displays, I would charge more. For a photograph in the above situations, it could be anywhere from 200(license fee)-2000(full rights) dollars, however this is also dictated by your market. I live in the north east where I can command a bit more for images. To translate this into logos for you, if this is a medium sized company trying to create a stronger brand image, I would consider the overall usage and charge accordingly. I am assuming that they will want you to not use it once they purchase the rights. If this is a small business just starting out, consider licensing it to them, that way if they do not grow to use it permenantly, you retain the rights and can continue your shirts. Remind them that they are investing in their brand image, and that makes a simple (or not so simple) vector file worth the money.

On a side note, I cannot see the image, probably becuase I am at work, so I can't tell you off that. I dont know if this helps, but I have seen many a photographer and graphic designer undersell their work. Since Dan helped perhaps you can confer with him.

If they are going to use it themselves & not a favorite of yours , a lower value . IF they are making it into something they are selling ... MUCH higher . My thought if they are going to be selling it , is to make a percentage part of the puchase JUST in case it blows up like " M R Ducks " etc . Nice design btw .

graphic designer here, u should check their company and what they do, if they will use ur logo for one of their products u should ask for a % instead, this wont give u a lot of money in 1 blow, but it will keep the money coming and in the long it will give u more money, if they using ur logo and modifying it a little to use as their logo or something similar, a single price should do, i should charge what u think ur work is worth, how long it took for u to make it, how hard it was for u to think of it and if u think they will have more bussiness with u, then the price should be decent, that way they will come back if they need something else, if not, then the price should be high. there is a reason why they came to u or they would just ask any graphic designer to make them one like that.

• Like 1

I would say take 200 and run, really any more and they are going to go elsewhere or just pay some 5-er to assemble a few stock files for 5 bucks.

2 to 3 hours time to draw this up, Bill them for the hours like it is a logo and move on.

were do you live? were r they from? ask them what they want to changes!! tell them you can customize it for them. stay on top... they came to you... don't sell out on something you made. don't get played... im from NY around here everyone is trying to make $$.. most don't have there own ideas so they try to find other ways

• Like 1

It seems after talking with the owner that he wants to use it as Image on his web site. I think he is getting rid of the parott and ??. He doesnt want to sell anything with the design. I told him to go ahead and use it and give me credit on his page with a link to my store. He agreed thanks for the imput everyone...

• Like 1