mabscotthandyman

couple more

just going thru my files found several photos of jobs thought i would post them . i dont take many photos any more mostly when i need to email finished photos to the customerpost-4118-0-05362400-1352771581.jpgpost-4118-0-29122800-1352771647.jpg

Hey Dan, what kind of substrate do you use? I have a guy that wants a sign done for his warehouse in about a 5' x 30" sign. His building has the ridges and bumps on the walls, so I suggested a backing substrate to the vinyl. I am green, so I am curious as to what would be best.

Jeremy I used a 3/8 in. Exterior grade plywood primed,painted two finish coats and then built the 2in . frame around the perimeter and painted the Dibond is inset against the plywood and inside the .2inch Frame

The signs on the post are Dibond on 1 inch square tubing aluminum frame it was really simple build install the signs are only 16x72 inches. The church sign inside the frame is 44x72 inch

48 years construction ,electrical and plumbing and about 20 years of sign construction ,instlation and 4 years or so of vinyl cutting . I have worked in part of 6 decades ( which only proves I am an old fart lol ) but yes experience surely makes it a lot easier to accomplish most any thing .

Dan

So, the 2" frame holds the dibond in and perfectly flush to the plywood? You didnt screw the dibond down in any areas? I know nothing about how rigid dibond is. I was hoping in my sign business I was starting that I would not get requests for outdoors signs like this. Oops, guess I do need to learn! So back to the church sign, did you mount the plywood to the wall, then put the dibond up in the frame to give it a clean look? What type of primer and paint did you use? Is the dibond blue or did you paint that as well? I am sorry for all the questions, I am merely curious Dan. I hope you dont mind dude!

No I don't mind at all Jeremy the frame was built at the shop and Dibond installed then transported as a unit and installed . Here is a more detailed descreption of the process . First I cut the plywood to size @ 76 and1/4 inch long for the diabond that I had cut at 72x44 inches from the supplier (pioneer sign supply ) the diabond is a factory blue finish and is a ridgid substrate lays really nice and flat . I then primed and painted the plywood and filled any open end grain/voids I also primed all the 3/4 x 2 inch frame material and built the frame using pocket hole joints and a good exterior glue I then mounted the 2in. frame to the plywood and painted the final coat I then layer several lines of a polyurethane construction adhesive on the plywood between the frame and layer the Dibond onto the adhesive I let that set a day then installed the next day . It sounds like a long drawn out process but total time for the frame was around 3.5 hours 1.5 hrs install and travel time to and from the job and the panel about 1.5 hr cut and install the vinyl so about a total of 6 hrs for the job . The job was $786.00 so a decent turnover for the job .

Side note

The plywood is a good exterior grade and I painted both front and rear , the primer is a good latex exterior primer from Sherwin Williams the paint superpaint latex exterior also from Sherwin Williams . All joints and the frame to the plywood also glued . I also made a drip cap for the top cut on a 30% level to keep water from setting on the top frame and eventualy causing damage to the frame. The frame is made from ceader . Also I cot 1/2 inch circles of vinyl to match the frame in this case white to cover the mounting screw heads . Hope this gives a little easier to understand detail of the process I used .

Dan