Monkey

Hello All

My name is Chris, I live in Ringgold, GA.....everyone calls me Monkey in real life even though I am 38 years old haha. I race 10th and 8th scale RC cars as well as started airbrushing bodies about a year or so ago. All my designs have been hand cut from liquid mask in the bodies but Ive developed a shaking problem due to some recent surgeries. So that is 1 of the reasons I started lookign at vinyl cutters. The more I have thought about it the more I come up with I can do if i was to get a decent one.

Found this forum through an unrelated forum today. Ive looked at the USCutter site a lot lately as Im looking to get my first cutter/plotter. I started looking at ebay then here directly on the site. I was originally looking at an 34" MH, but now leaning to the 34" SC or the 25" Laser. With the laser Im concerned I wont use its function since I dont have the printing ability. But maybe later I will, as it is an interest of mine. Right now Im mainly looking at RC paint masks and medium size full size car decals. Id like to make something of this a little more then personal use if possible.

I cant nail down which set up I want to go with yet. Looking at the USCutter packages on ebay, I didnt think I would have use for all the "extra"s but my wife said she could use the banners and such for her photography business. So Ive been looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/300804523526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460958c606

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Vinyl-Cutter-BUNDLE-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/281010926495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d8e739f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vinyl-Cutter-Best-Value-Cutting-Sign-Making-Kit-Decals-USCutter-Plotter-SALE-/300718890366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46043e1d7e

I started out with an original Laserpoint 24 and loved it. the LP2 is supposed to be even better.

Within 8 months I made enough to drop the cash on a graphtec cutter just for shear speed and quality. For cutting paint masks, espeically on RC bodies- you could get away fine for a long long time with an LP2. I wouldn't go any less just because it leaves you ROOM to jump to printing with inkjet media for quick stickers etc. But for good quality vinyl decals a setup with a servo motor and a solvent based printer is ultimately the way to go.

As with all tools..buy the best tat you can afford. I have an MH and a PCut (2 of each,actually) and they have never let me down.

Yeah I was reading about the Servo motor deal. Im thinking of getting the SC and can use the motor deal to get a better machine later if I decide to spring for the printer. The SC and laser kits I posted is about as far as I can go safely with the wife, just getting into it lol. But with the laser being same price just 9" smaller its hard to decide. Trying to figure what I would need a 34" over a 25" cutter for. Ive got till the 15th to decide finally.....thats the cut off I gave myself. But it will be 1 of those 3.

You can make enough money with the starter cutter in no time , to buy a really good one. Believe me, I know. My first cutter paid for itself the first week.

Also, most vinyl is easily and readily available in 24" rolls, a 24 inch machine will get 99% of jobs done. I have a 30" FC7000 (Graphtec) and have only really NEEDED it for 1 or 2 jobs in the year I have owned it.

The 2 smaller CE5000 24" machines are both used DAILY.

Good deal. Thank you for the replies. Been researching these and reading forum for last 9 1/2 hours today lol.

• Like 1

Good deal. Thank you for the replies. Been researching these and reading forum for last 9 1/2 hours today lol.

A very respectable and enthusiastic start! I got my start here on the forums as well a little over 2 years ago. Went from cutter-dumb to advanced contour cutting and now printing! All you can do is read read read and read some more- and then when you're blue in the face, do it again. Then go try it. You will run into bumps and hiccups along the way as well as make some mistakes. Use them as learning tools and the forum here as a way to help you prevent them.

Most everyone here is willing to help anytime and answer questions etc. as we were all there once- and then stay up to date, as well as help others coming in and you'll find this is a really great experience.

Yeah thats how I learned to airbrush. Watched video after video, read thread after thread and articles I could find.