motoxchic

Talk to me about cutting mats

I am in the process of placing an order, but the 23x35" Greenie mat is out of stock on USC. So, I can wait, place another order, pay more shipping, or look at another supplier.

What is your favorite mat?

Price tells me I should wait for stock on the Greenie, but is there something better, worth the extra $?

What size would be best?

I am just starting, mostly designs aroung 18x24" and smaller (guessing?) but I do have a current sign job the largest being about 2.5x8'? Would I want to cover my whole work table (which does not exist yet, but working on that..)?

• Like 1

Do you have a local Hobby Lobby or Michaels? They can be purchased there for about the same price. We get 40% off coupons in the paper for both every Sunday.

Yes, we have WM and Michaels, etc. I will check there. Seems like the 23x35 ish mat is a good size, not too big, not too small. Does the thickness make much difference? I have a small fiskars mat for crafts, it seems a little slick and thin...

Having a 2' x 4' mat is very practical.

You don't really need to cover the entire 8' table with a mat, but do make sure the surface is flat and stable (especially when using app. tape)

I worked just with the 2x4 for a long time, and only recently sprung for the few hundred $$ to cover my 4x8 table.

The 2x4 is still maneuvered around as needed, and it "protects" my 4x8 mat from getting too messed up.

I'm at the point where a new 2x4 would be worthwhile, since I've mostly destroyed the original one I bought over a year ago (the result of not being careful, and cutting through substrate materials with too much pressure and gouging the mat)

I found my big fiskars one at walmart. 24 x 36 I think was 25$

The small town I live in doesn't have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and it's 90 minute drive to either one of them, so I ended up with the Fiskars 24x36" from Wal-Mart and it has worked out just fine for me. I found it in the sewing aisle, as I recall, along with a huge assortment of scissors and rotary cutters.

I bought a Fiskar's rotary cutter while I was there, too, as it's safer than a knife (in my opinion) and cuts through vinyl and backing material like butter. Combined with a T-square and a good cutting board, you can quickly cut repeatable, straight lines, handy for knocking a big square of multiple decals down into singles. Takes up a lot less space than a large paper cutter, since you can work right on top of the mat.

Michaels was over $50 for a 2x3, same with Joannes..up to $65. ugh. Its 2 weeks to get the Greenies back in stock on USC, so I may wait.

I did buy a Sullivans, The Cutting Edge "table cover craft style" gridded cutting mat (not self healing) in case I need it for the large sign job. It was $40 at 40% off. Our Walmart only had a 2'x18" avail for $22, but will check back next week. Hopefully those will be enough to get me started!