Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

New to Inkscape

Sorry for jumping the gun, and not reading up on how to use Inkscape, or watching any of the videos you nice people have posted... but I'm curious how someone can import an image(.jpg, .gif, .png, etc) and convert to a vectorized/.eps image that I can use in SignBlazerElements.

Thanks to anyone willing to help a tired impatient newbie :huh:

open inkscape. FIle> Import. select the pic, click PATH then Trace bitmap(it really doesn't have to be a bitmap.any pic will do). Another box will pop up..Play with it til you get it looking good. Click OK...then go back to the main screen and save as an .eps..name the file... when the little box opos up click ok.

Banner John's description is pretty much all there is to it.  I usually just use the defaults and it works fine for 99% of everything I do.

After you trace it, the traced image will be on top of the original bitmap (most of the time, sometimes it is the bottom image)  either way, the 2 images will be stacked.  You need to delete the bitmap image before you save it as an eps file.  You can tell which image is the vector by selecting the image and looking at the bottom of the screen.  It will say PATH and give you the number of nodes for the vector image.  If you have the bitmap selected it will say IMAGE and give you the size of the image.  Delete the IMAGE, save the PATH as eps.

Does Inkscape do multi-colors like Vector Magic?

yes when the window pops up to make adjustments you can select colors or greys as well. Sometimes it will be TOO sensative and have several different variations of the same color. I just remedy this by adjusting down the number of scans to however many colors there are.