wagspe208

Cutter "needs" vs "wants"

So, OW.. you are relatively new to cutting? What was your design experience? Much, some, tons? Sounds like you have been there done that recently.

Yes - I got my first cutter in February or March of this year as I was looking for something to add to my part time business. I bought a cheap cutter setup from one of SignWarehouse's ebay deals. It worked great for anything large (text larger than 1") but wasn't capable of doing any fine detail and the software it ships with is somewhat limited unless you're willing to pay more to upgrade. I had to do the design work in one application, then export it to a compatible file format and import it into the cutting software and if I noticed an error, it was back to the original application to make changes, re-export, re-import, etc.

I knew that if I wanted to make a business out of this, I was going to need a better quality cutter and software that wouldn't drive me crazy, or cost me a lot. I shopped around and was able to find sites selling the Graphtec CE5000-60 cheaper, but without any of the accessories that you get from US Cutter, and since their shipping is only $9, it wasn't worth giving up the freebies to save <$100. I had my order <72 hours after I ordered it (which is impressive for 3 heavy boxes and only $9 to ship) and had it up and running in less than 2 hours.

It is so much quieter, faster and more precise it's hard to describe. It used to be that every time I would start cutting vinyl, my dogs would get up and leave the room to avoid the noise - now they wake up, look around and go back to sleep. It is only slightly noisier than my Epson inkjet printer.

With regards to design experience, I've been working with graphics in one way or another for many years, but don't have any real training. I started this business a couple of years ago doing custom pin-back buttons and added cut vinyl decals and glass-etching earlier this year, and just recently added dye sublimation printing. I learned how to do almost all of it from these forums and/or YouTube videos. There is plenty of information available online and the people on this forum are very helpful and knowledgable.

A local business can if the want get close to the higher volume dealers. I paid $1550 otd for my Graphtec CE-5000-60. That was cutter, stand, extra blade, application fluid, and a 2 rolls of vinyl (one 24x10yd and one 10-12" cutoff I needed). I already had Lxi Master Plus, Corel X6. And upgrading Lxi is almost free, spend $200 @ SW and you get a free upgrade to the next level. So just a few supply and accessory orders and you done. I can now say I happily done with ordering from them too.

The Graphtec CE5000-60 (24" version) package from US Cutter has EVERYTHING you need to get started doing professional quality vinyl decals and lettering. The only thing not in the boxes (3 large, heavy boxes) is a computer and the knowledge/experience, but you can glean a lot of that from reading these forums. The Corel Draw X3 with Graphtec's Cutting Master plug-in is a vast improvement over Inkscape & SignBlazer in my opinion. You can do all your design work in Corel and when you're ready, cut directly from there without having to worry about exporting into special file formats, etc.

Explain this please. So, with corel draw I design the image/ text etc and directly cut? Or export to cutter?

I am not a computer expert by any means. Not totally stupid, but not a genius. So, less file moving the better for me.

I would like to learn just one draw/ print (cut) software if possible.

Wags

A "plug-in" is a companion application that allows the design program (in this case, COREL) to communicate in "cutter language" and gives you a set-up/cutting dialogue box that provides the parameters of the cutting operation.

(Sometimes termed "Cutting Manager")

A "plug-in" is a companion application that allows the design program (in this case, COREL) to communicate in "cutter language" and gives you a set-up/cutting dialogue box that provides the parameters of the cutting operation.

(Sometimes termed "Cutting Manager")

You know how in a regular program, you select File > Print and you get a Print Settings dialog box where you can change the paper size, orientation, number of copies, etc.?

It is very similar to that, you make your design and select Cut/Plot from the plug-ins menu and you get a dialog that shows your design on a simulation of the cut vinyl - it will automatically import the dimensions of the loaded vinyl and show you how your design will fit on the sheet/roll. From there you can mirror it, rotate it, pick the number of copies to cut, determine spacing between the copies, etc. and then press "Send" and your plotter starts cutting. If you see a change to make, just hit Cancel and you're back in Corel Draw and can make changes without having re-load, re-export, etc.

I got LXi Apprentice when I got my first package and after a large parts order I upgraded it to Expert level for free. It still doesn't come close to what you can do with Corel Draw and Cutting Master - if you prefer Adobe Illustrator, there is also a Cutting Master plug-in that works with it the same was as Corel Draw. Also, LXi requires a USB dongle to operate and my laptop only has two USB ports and I needed one for my plotter and another for a wireless mouse - I had to use a hub when I used LXi to have enough ports.

I think I get it .Corel is more of a design tool. Signblazer is more dedicated to the actual cutting (well, design but not anywhere near as detailed).

Do I get it?

Wags

I think I get it .Corel is more of a design tool. Signblazer is more dedicated to the actual cutting (well, design but not anywhere near as detailed).

Do I get it?

Wags

Bingo.

I run a retail sign store using just SIGNBLAZER, offering Instant Lettering to the public.

My operation is based almost exclusively on Textual signs. (i.e. -- Words that Say Stuff)

post-21408-0-28864400-1344989037.jpg

Awesome!

I got my piece yesterday. I ordered it Tuesday about 3:00 CST and it did not show up until 2 ish CST Wednesday. Jeez, what crappy service. ;D

I got it out of the package and actually read diractions. I know why you guys say cadillac. It is nice. Hardware, directions, ext. Not cheap chinese crap. I was totally impressed (and I'm a picky pr***).

Got all set up and I have to say I can perform a test cut with just the push of a button. HA

After that... well, struggling a little.

I will focus on signblazer as directed.

I'll keep you posted.

Wags

Great to see that you obtained a cadillac of cutters.

However, I will strenuously object to your characterization of the less-expensive US CUTTER units as "cheap chinese crap"

The reality is that not everyone has the money to spend on a Graphtec.

Which is why the budget cutter line-up is popular, and serves the market.

I have been using the low-priced SC machine for months, producing great signs for clients, and making thousands of $$$.

In fact, I just did a job yesterday, and the $450. that I obtained for these signs was more than the cost I originally paid for the cutter ($379).

As a general rule, Chinese units work fine, don't give troubles, cannot be described as "crap", and the price-point they are sold at offers a good value.

You came into this thread with the request for "decent minimum equipment" and ended up buying a Cadillac.

Good for you, and nobody will begrudge you for going that route.

However, from where I sit, now using a "cheap Chinese piece of crap" ---- well, I thank US CUTTER every day for having their "cheap Chinese piece of crap" business model in place that allowed me to open my sign store with a $379 machine that does a terrific job.

• Like 1

Oh, Slice... I am truly sorry. I did not mean to imply anything about the US cutters. I was simply stating I am not fond of chinese stuff in general whenever possible I try to avoid it. Please don't take offense to this. It wasn't meant that way at all.

Sorry for the confusion. You have been very helpful.

Really... sorry.

Steve

I was just so blown away by the quality of the graphtec. This is my first and only cutter, so I was overly impressed maybe.

Sorry again.

Wags

I reread my post. Chinese crap was more directed at hardware. Bolts, screws, etc are generally poor quality. Not cutter, etc.

No Problem.

Look, I own the SC cutter, and believe me, I'll be the first to admit it has some flaws.

Check out this thread, for instance --

Now, does that verify what you are saying here about the quality and engineering of Chinese equipment?

Yep.

It's all about trade-offs, and cost vs. benefit.

Would I recommend the SC as an entry-level unit?

Sure, why not? It's absolutely worked OK for me, on my limited budget (allowing me to open my sign store for under $1000, including computer, cutter, misc. supplies)

Be happy, and go forth and cut !!!

• Like 1