Sign in to follow this  
soundmasterx

Flexi Bitmap problem

I recently lost everything on my computer so I had to start over... Poor me. Anyway now whenever I save a file in flexi that has a bitmap and delete the original bitmap, when I go to reopen the file flexi tries to find the bitmap. It was never like that, almost like it saved the image inside the flexi file. what gives? Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank You

dumbm.jpg

Looks like you are having more of a directory issue to me.... I would start there make sure the file is actually in that location.

No. The reason it is doing that is because I deleted the bitmap. Prior to losing everything I could delete the original location of the bitmap and flexi would still pull it up in the file (again I think it saved the bitmap in the flexi file). Everything is fine as long as I don't delete the original file. I definitely don't want 2x the amount of files laying around my computer. Anyone?

I'm sorry now I understand. I didn't catch what you were trying to say.... I just created a quick file with a bitmap i downloaded added some text, saved it, deleted the bitmap exited Flexi and restarted it and opened the file and it all opened just fine.... What version of Flexi do you have? Did you install it on the same computer you lost everything on? Maybe try deleting and reinstalling Flexi.

I'm sorry now I understand. I didn't catch what you were trying to say.... I just created a quick file with a bitmap i downloaded added some text, saved it, deleted the bitmap exited Flexi and restarted it and opened the file and it all opened just fine.... What version of Flexi do you have? Did you install it on the same computer you lost everything on? Maybe try deleting and reinstalling Flexi.

I have 8.6 I know it has to be a setting. I used to be able to do the same thing. DAMN YOU FLEXI, DAMN YOU AND YOUR MIND GAMES!

It's a little late, but it has been said on here many,, many times, , cause I have said it..LOL . BACK UP your files. I have all of my files 4 different places. And for all you,,, new comers, Keep your files, at other places also, flash drives, external hard drives, email accounts, other computers etc. It's your business, protect it....

LOL... I have 8.6 PRO and as far as I know everything is set to default settings and it works fine.....

LOL... I have 8.6 PRO and as far as I know everything is set to default settings and it works fine.....

LOL I am referring to his vector files... He said,,, he has to start all over......poor me!!!

And if you just use 1 computer,, dedicated to cutting, your better off.

• Like 1

I have a laptop and my cutting machine and both have an external hard drive plugged in and back up every Tuesday and Friday........ Plus any other time I get an urge to back them up..... I also back most all of my commonly used stuff on DVD...... I lost all my files a few years back and was devastated, I still haven't been able to relocate some of the great files I had.

But back to the issue... There aren't that many settings in Flexi to adjust so I would get ahold SAi support and see if they can help......

• Like 1

LOL I am referring to his vector files... He said,,, he has to start all over......poor me!!!

And if you just use 1 computer,, dedicated to cutting, your better off.

Ok thanks for the lecture and completely derailing the topic... Lets get back to the task at hand shall we? Can you help me with my question? for all you know I did have everything backed up. Maybe not to four separate locations like every other person on this forum... (really four??).

Ok thanks for the lecture and completely derailing the topic... Lets get back to the task at hand shall we? Can you help me with my question? for all you know I did have everything backed up. Maybe not to four separate locations like every other person on this forum... (really four??).

According to your topic, you stated, you lost everything... Sorry, you felt like it was lecture, and a derail. It wasn't just for you.

• Like 1

No need for the attitude...... I have emailed them at all kinds of odd hours and was amazed at how fast I received a response... You're kind of new here and after time will learn Skeeter is probably some of the best help you can find when it comes to Flexi so if she doesn't know or is resorting to SAi then that is probably the route you will need to take.....

• Like 1

that error is cause the file is no longer in that location.

It got moved, deleted, renamed, etc etc.

This happens when you use elements as external links and do not embed them into the current document.

Using linked files like you so you cant delete the bitmap. You said in your second paragraph how to prevent this problem, so why keep deleting elements of your files?

SA you got me thinking and that is how the problem can be solved.....

OP in your import menu uncheck the tick that says link on the right..... Now it will import as a file and not a link to the original document...

SA you got me thinking and that is how the problem can be solved.....

OP in your import menu uncheck the tick that says link on the right..... Now it will import as a file and not a link to the original document...

I have already unchecked the box, i'll figure it out.

that error is cause the file is no longer in that location.

It got moved, deleted, renamed, etc etc.

This happens when you use elements as external links and do not embed them into the current document.

Using linked files like you so you cant delete the bitmap. You said in your second paragraph how to prevent this problem, so why keep deleting elements of your files?

I also said in that very same paragraph I don't want twice the amount of files laying around when I know I don't have to have them.

I am definitely not a veteran on this forum... I have been using flexi since version 6 and have personally spoke with SAI on multiple occasions. I have had better luck on forums than with service reps, I also think it is more convenient to hop on a forum anytime you want rather than speaking on the phone. I am very familiar with Flexi which is why you wont find me asking questions unless it is something I can not figure out. Thank you for the help.

you need to have that file though, you cannot delete a linked file. Good file structure and keeping all nested original art should always be done anyway even if it is embedded. Deleting original elements in a collection cause its embedded is not good practice. Always keep a original of every piece.

• Like 1

you need to have that file though, you cannot delete a linked file. Good file structure and keeping all nested original art should always be done anyway even if it is embedded. Deleting original elements in a collection cause its embedded is not good practice. Always keep a original of every piece.

I would agree however, I do well over 20 shirts per day with pictures on them. There is no reason for me to save those files, Its too cluttered for me. Thanks for the help.

In your old files it is not embedded, you deleted the originals so there is no way to get it back. There is no correction, no way to change what has been done.

That is the problem with deletion. If you choose not to keep working files this will continue to happen for the length of your computing career.

20 shirts per day, so what 4 to 5 megs per file on the large side? Do that every day its only 26 gig a year. Spend 189.99 and get a terabyte drive and your good to go for almost 40 years. We save about 3 gigs every working week here. I would never consider deleting anything, ever. Been doing design for over 15 years and still pulling up files I did in the late nineties on occasion for customers.

Never delete anything is what I am saying. It always comes back to bite you in the end. Just as this did.

In your old files it is not embedded, you deleted the originals so there is no way to get it back. There is no correction, no way to change what has been done.

That is the problem with deletion. If you choose not to keep working files this will continue to happen for the length of your computing career.

20 shirts per day, so what 4 to 5 megs per file on the large side? Do that every day its only 26 gig a year. Spend 189.99 and get a terabyte drive and your good to go for almost 40 years. We save about 3 gigs every working week here. I would never consider deleting anything, ever. Been doing design for over 15 years and still pulling up files I did in the late nineties on occasion for customers.

Never delete anything is what I am saying. It always comes back to bite you in the end. Just as this did.

Wow... ok... I'm not going to split hairs here... Thanks