Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

heat press or screen printing?

im thinking about starting either heat pressing or screen printing. iv worked with screen printing throughout high school but i was wondering what everybody would prefer??

which is going to save me more $?? heat press or screen printing? should i get the 15x15 from USCUTTER or the bigger one? or just look on craiglist for a good screen printing package deal?

and iof i were to use heat press.... would it be hard doing a big order of shirts???

If you can get a screen press setup doing a large order is usually best with screen printing.... I have done a few larger orders of 50 shirts and pressed them and it took longer then what it should have... Material was kind of pricey per shirt but I feel that heat pressing looks better......

i just feel like heat press will cost more because of the ink and printing.....

screen printing i can get a 4 color station on ebay for a decent price.... just need to find out which machine used to dry the shirts i will need... or if i need that big behind conveyer belt machine.

I know guys who hang them and just run over them with a heat gun real quick.... your start up cost is more for screen printing but per unit price is cheaper.

Research flash dryers to cure screen printed shirts, you can get them reasonable, the one that I had came on an adjustable stand.

Dr's correct, if you're going to be doing 24 or more, screenprinting would be the way to go but lest than that, a heatpress, IMHO.

good Luck! Alan

Ill be honest i hate heat press when washing it just doesnt end well, for sports and cheap shirts not ment to be warn all the time i would not use em, and when you sweat you get the spot on your back...

I would do screen press if you can..

my 2cents

I've never had an issue with any of that using 50/50 shirts and siser easy weed... and never any complaints from my customers either.

I've never had an issue with any of that using 50/50 shirts and siser easy weed... and never any complaints from my customers either.

Same here...

And I agree that anything over a certain number mine is 30, I will just outsource them to a silkscreener rather than heat press them... Theres a point where I find the scale of profitability vs labor tips the wrong way....

Bruce

but what if i get big orders down the road with 50 shirts...

if i get a heat press, it will still work with that many shirts just take longer??

what about the ink for the printer??.... will it cost more in ink for larger shirt quantities or when u print the image with the printer cant you use that image for as many shirts as you want or does it fade out and you have to print out another?

If you get orders with more shirts ( if you go with a heat press ) then you can either sub out that work, buy screen printing equipment or pass onthe order.

You'll be in the same boat if you buy screen printing equipment and get an order for say, 5 shirts, because it will not be cost effective to make screens etc for just 5 shirts.

It gets to a point to where heat press vinyl is not cost effective when doing alot of shirts but yes, you could do that, and it would take longer.

Not sure what ink you're referring to... I thought we were discussing heat press vinyl vs screen printing? If you're referring to the screen printing ink, you need to research the process some more because you make your design on a mesh screen and a squeegee forces the ink through and you just add the ink when it gets low in the screen.

Good Luck! Alan

no i am talking about the ink for the printer for the heat press machine... because you need a special printer to work.

but say i am making 5 shirts with heat press... does it take a lot of the ink for the image that you print out ? im aware that you put the image onto the heat press and then it is transferred onto the shirts.... how much INK from the printer does it use and cost??

BUT.... i am thinking about getting a screen printing set up..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310406627079&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

from ebay ^^ 4 color 1 station