slice&dice

Animal Hospital -- Red Cross symbol OK?

I know that US Criminal Code prohibits the commercial use of the Red Cross symbol

Section 706, Title 18, U.S. Criminal Code, part 18 reads as follows: "Whoever, whether a corporation, association or person, other than the American National Red Cross and its duly authorized employees and agents and the sanitary and hospital authorities of the armed forces of the United States, uses the emblem of the Greek red cross on a white ground, or any sign or insignia made or colored in imitation thereof...Shall be fined..."

In spite of that, I'm producing a sign for an animal hospital, and there's a red cross on it.

What are the chances of the business owner getting prosecuted for using that symbol?

you would be prosecuted also as you produced the goods and are the one who made the profit off it.

Is it a red cross or is it the red cross that they are wanting on their sign? The American Red Cross logo is a Greek cross that looks like a red + symbol rather than a cross, so if they are wanting a more traditional "Christian" shaped cross, then you should be OK. Also make sure that if you use a traditional cross that you do not include the words "American", "Red" or "Cross" anywhere nearby in such a way that it could be construed as any sort of endorsement of the customer. They hold all legal rights to the use of the red Greek cross along with their name, they do not have control over other crosses that happen to be red, nor all red Greek crosses.

There are other uses of the red Greek cross in the medical field that are not violations of the Red Cross trademark or copyright - the red cross is often times used in hospitals and doctor's offices and is available as purchasable clipart (see here http://www.pixmac.com/picture/medical+red+cross+sign/000012130287 as one example). It is all about context and making sure that no one looks at the sign and thinks "Oh, they must be some how associated with the American Red Cross".

If you are not sure, then the smart thing to do is either refuse the job, or ask the customer to provide documentation from their legal team that proves that the use of the cross does not violate the copyright or trademark of the American Red Cross, or convince the customer to not use that symbol.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television. Your mileage may vary. Please read and follow all instructions that come with your power tools. Use caution when operating heavy equipment after reading this posting. Be sure to floss after brushing. Rinse, lather, repeat. Ask your doctor if prescription advice from a television commercial is right for you.

I did a Google image search of "Veterinary Logo" and clicked on the red swatch and a whole bunch of veterinary clinic signs come up featuring a red Greek cross against a white background - https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1016&bih=582&q=veterinary+logo&gbv=2&oq=veterinary+logo&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=img.3..0l10.62.1812.0.2031.15.8.0.0.0.0.516.516.5-1.1.0...0.0.dlY2oSpXgd0#q=veterinary+logo&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=ic:specific,isc:red&sa=X&ei=UJu_T96sGqTCsAK00N3UCQ&ved=0CEEQpwU&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fd658c015acf2f09&biw=1016&bih=582

Many of the logs feature a paw print or the silhouette of an animal's head superimposed over the cross, I even saw one with an EKG heart beat line across it, It appears that the use of the red Greek cross in veterinary signage is a popular idea.

I decided to go with this red cross containing the paw-print, which seems to me sufficiently altered from a standard Greek cross, so as to not violate the aforementioned Section 706, Title 18, U.S. Criminal Code, part 18.

Tip-of-the-hat to OWJones for that suggestion.

post-21408-0-01620200-1338083171.jpg