webbmeister25d

Using a Vinyl Cutter for Static Cling or Waterslide Decals

Hi,

Has anyone here ever used a contour cutter to "die-cut" either static cling vinyl or waterslide decal material? Are you able to set your cutter to cut gently enough through the decal or static cling material that you are able to weed out the waste and have the decals remain on the intact backing sheet? Any advice? The use is for model car (slot car) decals. Using white material is best because the vivid colors of the graphics really pop without having to use a white car body. The problem is that hand cutting detailed and/or numerous decals most often leaves a sloppy edge - either jagged, with some of the white background showing around the edge of the cut, or the cut going into the edge of the graphic.

I don't yet own a contour cutter, but am willing to make a reasonable investment if doing so will help get me around these problems. These are 1/24 scale models, so a low volume and accurate model that handles letter-size sheets (8 1/2 x 11) of these materials would be fine. Any purchasing advice is welcomed. Here are examples of the materials in question:

http://www.texascraf...&cat=264&page=1

http://www.texascraf...&cat=256&page=1

FWIW, though the second product is labeled "bake on" the material works fine as a regular waterslide decal paper. Thanks for your help!

Jim

I was actually going to test it out next week when my sample pack comes in, I can let you know how it goes.

you would cut completly through the material. Stick your material to thick paper or thin cardboard as a carrier. The backing becomes the sacrifice sheet. Just use double sided tape.

I cut the static cling all the time..No need on mine to use card board or cut the backing out..I run it thru just like vinyl..Cut and then weed out...It adheres to the backing like vinyl..So never found any reason not to use it the same way..I also print and contour cut it the same way..Works great lasts long time..LOL

I thought the static cling I got years ago had backing paper . I did not ever cut it wit my cutter , I just cut it with a scissors . i did not want to adjust blade exposure / pressure for that & then have to change it back for 651 . I added a outline , circle. square etc for a guide to cut the static cling . i did not ever do much of it & just found out it has a VERY short shelf life ( 6 months ) . Stetty , you ain't foolin me ... I know what you are really talkin about !!! i know what " static cling " means up North !!! :lol::bear::angel:

Hey Roger I cut it with the same settings I use for 651. Found it works great..Of coarse a sales person told me that I could cut it on my Graphtec but thats a whole nuther can of worms..LMAO!!

Sometimes the information provided out wheys the need to be uninformed..Snicker snicker poke poke..Gotta love those hidden messages from up north..WAIT your further north than I am..Hmmmmmmmmmmmm so maybe not me hiding your friends post..HMMMMMMMMMMM maybe drinking from the same glass..ARE YOU...a $50 dollar one I will bet...LMAO!!!

At the moment I am having some trouble with my cutter and contour cutting so I wasnt able to do it yet but I will let you know when its up and running