joey1320

Cutting clean circles...

Hello everyone, my name is Joey and I recently purchased a MH-871 from USCUTTERS. I was able to setup the cutter and get it going rather quickly, but the more I cut the more I have noticed issues when cutting curves/circles. It just cuts them rather choppy and it seems to be a software issue - I'm using SignBlazer.

I used to have a Roland Stika and I still have the software, so I tried that and I still get the chopiness(sic). I can zoom in on the font and I clearly see the chopiness on the screen, so it seems like I need a better software that can handle true vector graphics in order to get clean cuts around curves.

I have looked around and there are a bunch of different options to choose from; one of those being the Roland CutStudio package for around $69. Is anyone here using that software who can asure me it will cut clean circles/curves? If not that one, what would be a simple to use, rather inexpensive software you would recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Joey L.

I assume it is on imported circles ? Make the circles in SignBlazer :huh:

Joey is a drag racer , what do you race ?

Rodger is probably accurate in his assessment.

Also, when cutting circles (or anything, for that matter) there is a bit in the signblazer software to check, and it's called 'Blade Offset' which helps to eliminate the cutter not meeting back up with the starting points of cuts.

This has been extensively discussed here on the forums, as people routinely have this issue with their cutters leaving a very small uncompleted part of the cut, making it difficult to weed at those points (the vinyl tears at these 'breaks' in the cutting pattern)

I don't believe your specific complaint is directed towards that, but I thought I should mention it anyway.

Actually the issue I'm having is with text - using the font "Steiner light" which is what a friend of mine asked to use for some shirts I'm making for him. He has the letters "O" and "P" on the logo and as I mentioned, it cuts the curves really choppy. Slice -- I did read on the forums the issues with the blade not fully meeting its starting point and I have yet to comes across that problem - yayy - but thanks anyway for the info.

I used to race all kinds of things lol. Now I'm a BMW tech and I help a local raceshop with electrical stuff on german brands. I'm actually now more into mopeds than cars haha.

Okay a bit more info:

I'm using Stahl's Super Film/CCH20 material for the shirts. The materials is super thin and really flexible. The cutter makes perfect squares, and diagonal lines but when it comes to curves - it gets sloppy - as mentioned before. I can zoom in on the fonts in my laptop and I clearly see all the nodes and their un-curve-like edging(wow I just made that one up)... How can I get perfect circles, or "O's" and such?

If the font shows those "un-curve like edging" it is going to cut like that. It's doesn't sound like a problem with the software or the machine, it's in the font.

If the font shows those "un-curve like edging" it is going to cut like that. It's doesn't sound like a problem with the software or the machine, it's in the font.

Actually all of the fonts I tried to look at had the same issues... Isn't this supposed to be 100% true vector software?

I just downloaded the Steiner light font. The O is not a circle. Using Flexistarter. the O actually has straight lines on each side of it. It's an oblong O. The P also is not curved perfectly on the outside of it.. That is just the way the font is...post-3058-0-01169600-1333122177.jpg

Actually all of the fonts I tried to look at had the same issues... Isn't this supposed to be 100% true vector software?

Yes it is Vector Software. It will cut what is in the file. The other issue you may be seeing could be caused by your cutter. The less expensive machines use stepper motors that have incremental stops. Curves will be approximated based on the incremental limitations of your machine. I have never seen is bad like you describe. Usually it is un-noticable.

When I convert the font to curves, there are some areas that look funny. It is in the font though, not the software.

post-1636-0-14502400-1333123268.png

Back to the offset settings, what do you have your offset set at in Signblazer?

I'm at work, so I'm not able to give you any settings numbers, sorry.

For all the other replies, that's exactly what I mean, you can clearly see all of the short straight lines when the vinyl is cut.

So, if I wanted to make sure wether I can cut a perfect circle in either software, should I just make one when I get home and try?

Do you guys know of a specific font, kinda similar to "Steiner Light" which may have better rounded curves?

And let me say, thanks a million for the incredible amount of help and support, you guys have gone way beyond what I expected.

Joey

Took a sscreenshot of the Steiner font and ran it trhough What The Font:

post-1636-0-99036800-1333125798.png

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied. I decided to use a different but similar font and it seems like it will be okay. I haven't cut anything yet because I'm gonna try to use Corel Draw with a Roland Driver, but from the looks of it, all points to the font itself.

I'll post pics once I'm done.

Joey