Luvmydane

Ricoh GX e3300N or Epson 1100 which should I buy?

Just looking for some input, I want to buy a printer to do t-shirts, so far I have come up with two options the Ricoh GX e3300N or Epson 1100. The Epson comes with the larger external ink resevoirs.

Also just to clarify "pigment ink" is what I would use for t-shirts right? Also what is your opinion on presses clam shell or swing away and why?

Eventually I would like to do license plates, tags, coasters, and mouse pads (not sure if they will require different ink and another printer.

Thank you for any input.

Shelley

Both are nice machines I have heard that they are dis continuing the 1100s but have come out with another. Check Cobra Inks and tell Richard I sent you or that you belong to the forum and he will give you 10% more off on what ever you buy.

Pigment ink will work with 3g paper and JPSS but to do license plates and subliamtion shirts you would need high temp ink for sublimation...

this is sublimation just made this plate

platebowling001.jpg

sublimation shirt

billram2.jpg

marineplate.jpg

If you get into mugs you will need high temp also

saliormugbig.jpg

Thank you so much for your input. Your work is very nice. The high temp inks have to be put on 100% polyester shirts is that correct? Just a few more question if you don't mind, Do I have to have a special program to make these items such as yours? or could I copy and paste pictures I want to use? I have never learned to use any programs other than signblazer as that has been sufficient for what I have been doing, but I am going to want to get into mugs and stuff later. My total experience has been SB and inkscape, but I have never done any node editing.

Thank you so much for your time. I had read another post you replied to a while ago and that is how I found the 1100 on the cobra site. Thank you for helping newbies like me.

You are somewhat correct the 100 % poly come out the best, you can use high temp ink on a 50/50 shirt however it wont be as vibrant as the colors only stick to the 50% of the poly material in the shirt. So of course you could not do a 100 % cotton shirt. You just need to have good quality art work, remember the saying garbage in garbage out...

I actually use Sign Blazer a lot to print , you just need to start with a good image.

For what ever it's worth I would go with a printer with the high temp ink. You can still use it for everything even printing letters just remember high temp ink costs a lot more, however without it you can't do any sublimation but with it it's unlimited what you can sublimate on...

a few more sublimation items you will get hooked real fast...

clipboard

arineshirt001.jpg

mousepad

mousepad002.jpg

trailer hitch insert

hitchcover002.jpg

glass nail file

northstuff014.jpg

real hand carved slate

northstuff006.jpg

some more

puzzle

shirtsublimation005.jpg

luggage tags

luggagetags002.jpg

coasters

coasters001-1.jpg

compact mirror

mirror004.jpg

pad holder

notepad002.jpg

wall switch cover

003-2.jpg

dog tags

dogtag008.jpg

see enough lol

WOW!!! I could look at the pictures all day. You have me hook, line, and sinker. I am sold, sublimation is what I am going for. Where do I get all the blanks for the items you are showing? I am going to order it today.

What is your opinion regarding the heatpress? Clamshell or swing away?

I have a phoenix auto open 16 x 20 but if I had to do it again I would go with a swing away...

I get most of my stuff from ACP

because they are right down the road from me. I also was dealing with Conde

http://www.acp.com/

I even found out you can sublimate on the cheap 100% poly hats

piratehat002-1.jpg

Thank you so much for all the advice an examples. I just have to figure out how to do all this as I am so excited but don't know where to start. I will get it all figured out and then buy my printer. So far I just purchased a swing-away press and easy weed so I can dabble a bit.

You are doing it the correct way for a change, your homework and research first. Not hey I just bought this press and how can I do something that its not designed for and so on LOL. Sublimation can be fun however there is so much stuff it can be hard what to play around with. Conde has a lot of good videos and temp plates on everything before you buy something look there as some items might require more equipment or items such as glass or slate you should use the green pad... I just bought a hix 9" X 12" press for small stuff like dog tags and mouse pads instead of firing up my big auto open 16" X 20" press...

post-2057-0-56647100-1333208221.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed information above. I am in the same boat trying to figure out what exactly I should purchase...

Bill does wonderful work on the 1100 - I am the other side off the street and love my Ricoh 7000 - I did have a loaner 3300 for a while when the 7000 was being replaced and loved that one also - with the sawgrass powerdriver it is super easy to get great output on any substrate.

Scott that is a awesome machine also I just don't have as much money as you ;D

Bill, I think you left the word off the end "invested" You do wonderful work on the 1100 for a fraction of the cost.

This is an older topic but I just ordered my high temp kit for my 1100 and am wondering what paper everyone recommends. I have a good heat press I am mainly looking at doing T shirts, license plates, can koozies, and mouse pads. I see that Uscutter offers the Greenstar but I thought the price was rather steep as I have never done this before and want to be able to practice. I ordered a case of can koozies to do just for give away items and am going to order license plates this week also. But what should I order for good all around transfer paper?

I use tex print paper except for mugs, it doesn't work that great on mugs. I get my paper from ACP which is minutes from my house so whatever they hand me for the mugs is what I use. I think for koozies and mouse pads it wont really matter but shirts and shiny plates are a different story.

I don't think you should ever go cheap on you products or materials , it seems that every time I thought I was getting a deal such as mugs for a dollar or plates for a dollar fifty I would have a problem with them one way or the other and I ended up eating those mugs and still had to buy the better ones and then do the job all over. Now I buy the better stuff and raise my price for the difference which is really a dollar or so. In the end you will be much happier and your products will look great.

You will love the shirts , look at ACP's web site they have the soft link really cheap, that's because it's old stock and they don't make them anymore. Great price on a sublimation shirt, however be warned I didst like them, after a few washing they turned boxy looking short and wide LOL. Maybe that's why they don't make them anymore. The ones I had I threw in the garbage and bought top of the line vapor Apparel end of problems.

Those shirts would be great to start out on though, doesn't hurt as much as ruining a $8.00 shirt

One little hint/ tip use a lint roller on any sublimation shirt front and back before pressing otherwise you may end up with some small pen like marks

Awesome... Those prices seem much more reasonable. I will order the paper from them. I can't wait to get my kit in so I can get rocking on this.... Next noob question is what kind of heat, time, and pressure am I looking at? I have an Insta 221 and I told a few people what I was looking at getting into and all of them have requested custom iPhone covers. I found a good supplier of the stick on type like I wanted but haven't located any info on the settings for the heat press....