Sign in to follow this  
jperez

The perfect cutter for me?

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you have heard this a thousands of times before, what's the best cutter for me? At the moment I have a very successful online merchandise store. For the last year I have been outsourcing way too much and I need to cut down cost, I could've paid for this equipment various times already. I'm not planning to start a business out of this machine, I do hope to occasionally get side jobs though.

Having said that, I need a cutter that is reliable and easy to use. Nothing that requires countless hours trying to get it to operate. I will be doing several batches of 300-500 10" x 2" stickers every two weeks or so, for my personal use and sale. I don't need contour cutting or any of those extras. From what I've done research it seems the Roland GX-24 is the workhorse and I could probably afford it, I just think it's an overkill. I also read about GCC and think it will be ideal for me in all aspects, but they are not mac friendly and this is vital for me (that works on OS X). So I'm left here thinking if perhaps to get an SC series, PCUT, or COPAM. Honestly, I hate buying cheap equipment and always try to get the best I can afford but I need to make a good business decision that will go in hand with my needs. Any recommendations and advise will be appreciated.

The only problem I see is the 15" though, wouldn't that be somewhat of a limitation down the line?

Maybe...but when you get ready to upgrade, the Robo will hold it's resale value a lot higher than the Cheaper cutters. They are rock-solid machines.

It would be highly doubtful that the low end cutters, will have the memory capacity to do 300-500 decals. You would have to do much, much smaller lots at a time. The higher end cutters do have much better memory. So, not overkill at all. You get more bang for your buck with a Graphtec. They are also considered work horses. You will find many more Graphtec owners on here than Roland owners. I am a VERY happy Graphtec owner, The Graphtecs can do very detailed cuts with no problems, and are great on vinyl tracking. You don't even get a stand with the Roland. That's extra. And you definitely want a stand. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Maybe...but when you get ready to upgrade, the Robo will hold it's resale value a lot higher than the Cheaper cutters. They are rock-solid machines.

That makes a lot of sense, I guess I can consider this machine too. Can this handle large volumes of work? Are they the same components of their professional 24"? Meaning a servo motor etc..?

If you can afford the 24" Graphtec , jump on it. you will be able to do so much more, and it comes with the stand

http://www.uscutter....quipment+Bundle

How much more, that's the question? I'm not going to be cutting billboards anytime soon so I feel like it will be way too much for me now. What is the biggest difference besides the size?

That makes a lot of sense, I guess I can consider this machine too. Can this handle large volumes of work? Are they the same components of their professional 24"? Meaning a servo motor etc..?

CPU

32 or 64-bit Windows, Macintosh using the Cutting Master 2 Plug-in (Must already have Adobe Illustrator installed on your computer)

Media Feed Configuration

Grit rollers, Sheet or Roll Media (roll supports included)

Drive system

Digital Servo Motor

Compatible Media widths

Min: 1.968 inches (50mm) Max: 19.055 inches (484mm)

Maximum cutting area

14.76 inches wide by 164.04 feet long (375mm x 50M)

Range of guaranteed precision

14.015 x 78.74 inches (356mm x 2M) *1

Carrier Sheet

Super A3 size: 13 x 19 inches

Maximum media thickness

.25mm

Maximum cutting speed (all directions)

23.62 ips (60 cm/s)

Maximum Acceleration (45° Angle)

16.4 ft/sec^2 (5 m /sec^2)

Selectable Cutting Speeds

1–10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 cm/s

Cutting Force (31 levels)

20 gf to 300 gf

Minimum Character size

0.196 inches (5mm) for Alphanumeric characters

(varies depending on the media, font style, etc.)

Mechanical resolution

0.000196 inches (0.005 mm)

Programmable resolution

GP-GL: 254/508/1016/2540 ppi

HP-GL™ *emulation: 1016 ppi

Repeatability precision

0.1 mm or less per 2M *1

Number of Pens or Blades Mountable

1 pen or Blade Holder at a time

Blade Type

How much more, that's the question? I'm not going to be cutting billboards anytime soon so I feel like it will be way too much for me now. What is the biggest difference besides the size?

Price wise the 24" is $600 more and has a stand. You would be surprised how when people find out you have a vinyl cutter, then they want something cut.

Price wise the 24" is $600 more and has a stand. You would be surprised how when people find out you have a vinyl cutter, then they want something cut.

How does it compare to the Roland GX-24 in the industry? I'm assuming it's just as good, but I see the GX-24 is a little more costly when you start adding the stand etc.. What else should I know about these two? How Mac friendly are they?

I have never ran a Roland, but I bought a Graphtec new in 2008, and have never had a problem. I think you will see that, more people are buying the Graphtec, because they are getting more out of their money. At least on the 24" they are getting a stand. Roland wants $295 for a stand. I have never heard of anyone complaining about bad cuts with a Graphtec.Unless not setup correctly. Most only wished they had purchased it sooner.

• Like 1

I believe it's all relative to what you want to do and your expectations of what a cutter will do. If you are frugal you could go with a p cut that will do the kind things that you want to do there are people on here that use the value cutters for a full-time business . The Roland and Graphtec are pretty much the caddy of cutters with better performance and resale but it again is realitive to what you want to do . I would research and take my time about a decision good luck .

Dan

• Like 1