xeto

Looking for the best way to remove paint from lexan light box panel

I was just wondering if anyone had any input on removing paint from this type of sign. I have to remove the old painted lettering, clean up to remove some yellowing and reapply vinyl. Thanks any feedback would be appreciated.

Yeah That's what I thought , they don't wanna pay for new 6' x 8' sheets. Ok thanks dan guess I will just remove the paint best I can.

Seems like from everything i have read , it winds up new stuff is decided on & wishing they had done that right away instead of spending time & materials to get the lexan ready to use again . I have never tried to salavge lexan . Does it polish with very fine compound ? How do you get the yellowing removed ? If so , even though it would take a decade ... that might be the best way . Seems I have read there is a shadowing issue using used stuff .

Gonna try Lift Off #3 its Safe to use on lexan. Aceton took the yellowing off right away. And will use white spirits.They assured me they will not be open at night so the shine through issue should be less of an issue. Believe me sounds like a pain. Gonna try an area today.

Seems like from everything i have read , it winds up new stuff is decided on & wishing they had done that right away instead of spending time & materials to get the lexan ready to use again . I have never tried to salavge lexan . Does it polish with very fine compound ? How do you get the yellowing removed ? If so , even though it would take a decade ... that might be the best way . Seems I have read there is a shadowing issue using used stuff .

Rodger lexan yellows very fast when exposed to the uv light and signs that had vinyl on them will have ghost lettering that is more evident when lit I tried a couple and decided that if the customer would not pay for new faces I would just turn the job down. The exception would be faces not in direct sunlight will not yellow as fast or as much.

Dan

Lexan was the lastest greatest thing many years ago on drag race cars when I was drag racing . I noticed even the stuff that was kept in a garage / trailer etc would have those ghost shawdows when replacing numbers , names etc . They were not out on the sun for many hours a year , but most people replaced the lexan every year because of that . Anything in the sunlight takes a beatin IMO . I have seen ghost lettering after a few months on painted surfaces .

... time for a tangent ... anybody try Ghost Peppers or Ghost pepper sauce yet ? 2x hotter than Habanero pepper .. It is an experience !!!

Gonna try Lift Off #3 its Safe to use on lexan. Aceton took the yellowing off right away. And will use white spirits.They assured me they will not be open at night so the shine through issue should be less of an issue. Believe me sounds like a pain. Gonna try an area today.

I have used rubbing alcohol in the past... place paper towel layer and pour over cover with plastic wait about 20 min and wipe. Repeat... repeat... repeat till clean. Akzo makes a stripper but it not cheap. Acetone can make it brittle so would not use it at all. Paint thinner never seems to work on this type of paint. If you get it cleaned off flip the face upside down from the old lettering that will help with the ghosting. Your right it will be a pain... when you think you have it clear clean it some more as it's not. Also what will you be repainting it with?

Another way... I had a Friend that would blast with corn meal and cob mix to remove paint.With all things test I've seen allot of faces get smoked by people trying to use the wrong stuff. And the age of the face plays into it as well.

Good luck... and use rubber gloves. ;)

I just got the signs finished will post some pictures when we get them up.Holly pain.

I just got the signs finished will post some pictures when we get them up.Holly pain.

I knew they would be been there done that.

Dan

Can the lexan be flipped inside out after it'd been cleaned? Would this be a good approach?

Can the lexan be flipped inside out after it'd been cleaned? Would this be a good approach?

It helps but if you have ghost lettering it will show on a lit sign .

Dan

If you can afford to loose the material Sanding and polishing is the best way (besides new lexan). Get a small random orbital and work your way through the grits to at least 1200. Then get some good rubbing compound, and finish up with polishing compound. Don't use much pressure when sanding. Shouldn't take too long with the right tools, but new lexan is better for you and them in my opinion.

If you can afford to loose the material Sanding and polishing is the best way (besides new lexan). Get a small random orbital and work your way through the grits to at least 1200. Then get some good rubbing compound, and finish up with polishing compound. Don't use much pressure when sanding. Shouldn't take too long with the right tools, but new lexan is better for you and them in my opinion.

Much the same process as clearing yellowed headlights lenses the 3m kit uses that process I never even thought about that.

Dan