smokey13

Noob needs help...Copam or Zencut Green?

Alright guys. I'm the type of person that can talk myself out of anything if I give myself enough time. I had my mind made up to get the Copam since I wasn't sure how much we would use it. (First project is a Late Model Super Truck) Since then I got a copy of Illustrator CS5 and have been playing with it. I have really enjoyed designing some vector logos etc and begin thinking...why not get just alittle better machine, if our racing budget will allow, and do some vinyl for others to fund this racing addiction. As of now it looks as though I will be able to swing a Zencut Green 24" but nothing any more expensive than that. So what would you do if you were in my shoes? Opinions, options, etc? Thanks for the read and for the help!

Gary

I have 2 Copams that i bought almost 5 years ago . They have been perfect except for broken pinch rollers which i suspect was a bad batch of metal in the pinch rollers . If I was buying tomorrow , i would go for the Zencut ( from memory it is 3-4 hundred more than the Copam ? ) . Trouble is , i would then want the black as I have read the biggest reason any greens get returned is to trade them in for a black . At that point , I feel i would prefer the Copam at 1/2 the price ... Hmmm :) . I think everybody should have a back-up cutter , so whatever you buy should pay for a back-up soon afterwards . I figured having 2 Copams was better than 1 better cutter , since 2 of the better cutters was out of what i could justufy spending .

np :) ... 24" 2500 . I got mine right before they started coming out with a usb port .

I too have the pre-USB port Copam that has worked like a charm giving accurate and clean cuts whenever called upon. Last week on a lark I decided to pursue the contour cutting instructions via SignCut as demonstrated in several threads here. This journey was not successful probably in part because I drive the machine from a USB only laptop forcing the use of an adapter that has functioned for normal cutting or perhaps I was using the wrong size of measured paper to set up the registration marks. The point is, I had to dink around to even attempt contour cutting on this machine. I can't help but think you'll be like most others and at some point want to contour cut......If that's the case, the ZenCut Green makes a lot of sense for another $250; if you are absolutely sure that's not the case, then the Copam is a great value all around. In my case I'll continue to contour cut on a small CraftRobo occasionally wishing I had used the investment in both of these machines to purchase a Robo Pro as it's 15" size would have met all of my needs to date and it's foot print would have been more desirable in my case.

The Zencut Green also has servo motors instead of stepper motors in the Copam. Much better quality and more acccurate. I would guess quieter too.

Thanks edge and Jay2703. Not planning on contour cutting anytime soon but you're right it's still an option.

if you can swing it go right for the graphtec and be done with it - great cutter and no headaches. Just plug it in and go! I only owned the copam and not a zencut so I cannot compare the two, the copam was a good stepping stone on the way up but it is a brand you will only find supported here, when they quite carrying them (it has been sold for many many years) and their stock of parts run out it won't be as easy to get parts as a major brand name cutter

with that said they may still be carrying the same model in 10 years LOL

just my 2c

if you can swing it go right for the graphtec and be done with it - great cutter and no headaches. Just plug it in and go!

I second that!! I love my Graphtec!!!

bump!!! Any other opinions?

Heck Yea.. I'm of the opinion you should purchase our slightly used CP2500 for even less than you anticipated spending and then if and when you have an epiphany that easy contour cutting is desired, you'll have the xtra leftover cash to purchase a machine that allows that; plus I can use the sale proceeds now to acquire a Graphtec..... it's a win win situtation I tell you. Then again maybe it's more of a pipedream than opinion ;(