Sign in to follow this  
Robb

A few questions for starting out (Type, size, etc..)

I'm looking to purchase my first cutter and have settled on the MH721. I do have a few questions to make an informed purchase.

1. Is all vinyl adhesive?

2. What would the best choice vinyl be for automotive needs (paint and glass)?

3. When loading 12" and 24" vinyl into the machine, are there markings on where to load the material or will the cutter automatically adjust based on the media?

Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to the site. Keep reading and you will find the answers to your questions and a lot you didn't know to ask.

1.Not all is adhesive but most are, heat transfer vinyl for example (for tshirts) is not.

2. All vinyl is not the same, for car windows or vehicle graphics I would suggest Oracal. 651 is good for around 5 years but a better option is 751 rated for 9 years. A lot of people use 651 for everything (myself included) but I always let the customer know its good for 5-6 years max.

3. As for the vinyl, I buy 95% of my stuff in 24" rolls. If you use a smaller roll you can adjust the pinch rollers on the plotter to adjust for the size of the roll.

• Like 1

I agree with Neuromax. I use nothing but Oracal 651 for car windows. Very good stuff!

Also once you load the vinyl into the machine, you have have to tell the machine where to start at, but its realy not hard

Just want to add my $0.02 regarding the MH721.

I am using that cutter in my retail studio, providing signs for walk-in clients at my Custom-Sign-Store.

The software I run is SignBlazer, and it hasn't let me down.

Here is one thing to remember ----- if you have the cutter appear to be doing something wrong with a cut, the very first thing is to quickly PRESS THE RED BUTTON on it. (RESET)