Sign in to follow this  
top53

Need help with vinly selection

Newbie, I need help with vinly selection. I would like to put a package together of the basic vinlys and tools that a beginer will need getting started in cutting with a budget of $200. I know it's not much money, unless you don't have it. I keep telling myself I can make this work.

That's not much of a budget to start. Is that for the cutter too? For Vinyl, start with 15" Oracal 651 which is a general all purpose vinyl. Get the basic colors, white, black, blue, red, green, maybe orange or yellow. You will need application tape I use the R-4075 paper tape. weeding tools. I mostly use an exacto knife for everything. A nylon squeegie for pressing down the application tape.

7 rolls of vinyl @ $15/roll = $105

1 Roll 6.5" Application tape = $14.90

1 Roll 14" Application Tape = $32.06

1 Exacto Knife = $5.49

5 pk Squeegies = $3.89

Shipping = $9

Total = $170.34

Thanks Jay2703, I bought a Graphtec CE5000-40 Monday. $200 is what I have left to purchase material so the list you gave me is right on target. I had not though about exacto knife. I have got to do more reading. I know my question must sound pretty dumb.

pick up 1 or 2 exacto with a metal handle at a local big box hardware. Pretty inexpensive there. I purchased a 100 count #11 blades 5 years ago and still have plenty left. Bought on EBAY, Cheaper than buying 5 blades. I think I gave $18.00 shipped for 100. Nice to always be able to have a fresh blade.

I am getting an order ready now, can't wait to get started. Had a little bit of problem loading drivers for cutter, but all is well now. Ready to start cutting. Good advice Skeeter thanks.

pick up 1 or 2 exacto with a metal handle at a local big box hardware. Pretty inexpensive there. I purchased a 100 count #11 blades 5 years ago and still have plenty left. Bought on EBAY, Cheaper than buying 5 blades. I think I gave $18.00 shipped for 100. Nice to always be able to have a fresh blade.

Older blades almost work better. If the tip is too sharp it just wants to cut into the backing instead of lifting the vinyl. It takes me a while to get a new blade just right. When they are perfect, you can poke the tip into the vinyl and lift it out. Especially on small peices.

I don't use an exacto blade for lifting the vinyl. I use a needle or pointed down tweezers for that. , works great. I use an exacto more for making my weed lines separating larger pieces, because I don't use the weed lines in the cutting software.

• Thanks all, placed my order for vinyl and basic tools, now working on my first image while I wait for my order to come in.