koletsb

Am I making the wrong decsion starting to cut?

I have been buying custom made vinyl stickers for everything from car stickers to different house hold needs. I always have friends telling me that they want some and I thought it was time to start doing it my self. I really have no experience with vinyl other than all of the research I have been doing online. Is this a bad decision and can you actually make some good money with it?

If I do end up doing this, is my best bet to buy the "USCutter 12” MH-365 Series Vinyl Cutter Bundle" or should I be going the separate path route and buying each piece separately?

Sorry for the noob question and thanks again.

Even though the vinyl cutting market is flooded with competition ( because of the affordability now ) , It doesn't take much effort at all to have a cutter pay for itself . After that mostly all profit as the materials are a small % . It might be hard to take off new & pay all the bills , but an easy supplimental income . All you have to do is find some people who want personal service & they will keep you busy , even if there are cheaper guys around as long as you give that service . Printers are the thing now , but vinyl cutters will always have a good market IMO .

hi, you can start like i did, i bought a mh721 cutter from selltopia a seller from ebay long time ago i paid like $380 just for the cutter, right now the cutter come like you said in a bundle, if you have the money go ahead either way your not loosing your money you are investing it in a grate machine, this machines will help you get money so you can upgrade later like in any other business.

Im just a student who wants some extra money on the side, and it seemed like a good market to enter. I beleive that I should be able to get a good following from the different Greek life organizations here.

Even though the vinyl cutting market is flooded with competition ( because of the affordability now ) , It doesn't take much effort at all to have a cutter pay for itself . After that mostly all profit as the materials are a small % . It might be hard to take off new & pay all the bills , but an easy supplimental income . All you have to do is find some people who want personal service & they will keep you busy , even if there are cheaper guys around as long as you give that service . Printers are the thing now , but vinyl cutters will always have a good market IMO .

How difficult/time wise am I looking at if I begin this? Is it going to take over my life or is it something I can do on the side?

That depends on your goals . If you want it to pay for itself & suppliment some extar income , it isn'ta big time consuming deal & very easy to atain that goal . If you have a goal to become a major sized sign company , that might take everything you have & more . I pick & choose what I do . I like making truck door signs & personalized decals the most .Very E-Z & a good profit margain .

I started with the MH-365 as a hobby /business and it paid for itself in 6 weeks. When people see what you can cut with it, sales come rolling in. I did give away graphics for about two weeks while I was learning the ropes but those few freebees have brought me much more business. I bought a MH-721 from a Craigslist ad, very cheap, for the larger cutting jobs and that paid for itself after two jobs. I have expanded to sandblasting glassware and mirrors and am selling anywhere from 5 to 15 pieces a week. In short, ther is money to be made with a vinyl cutter. Good luck on your new venture.

• Like 1

A bit confusing ... the love of making some art will not buy another cutter or pay to repair the existing 1 , right ? If you make enough money , you don't have to ask for donations , right ? If only wanting to enjoy the love of art , chalk is very cheap & takes much more artistic skill than using a software & vinyl cutter . I have seen chalk drawings on sidewalks that look so 3-D it is super amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjwLN-JWqk ,

.. I would have a hard time walking over that 1 :) ) . Cutting vinyl does give me some artistic satisfaction , but I am no artist by any means . Thankfully , the software that does all the art work , mostly all we do is decide what looks good & adjust with the software .

Thanks everyone. So I guess my main question is, do I need everything in the bundle package or should I buy pieces separately?

The bundle package isn't a bad idea. It will give you most of what you will need to get started and some extras. Read as much as you can about cutting. Take extra time in setting up you blade depth properly.

here you go...

I don't get the pic?? Is this a template for sandblasting? What is it made of ??Thanks

Rodger are you a graphic designer :huh: "mostly all we do is decide what looks good & adjust with the software"maybe you work like that ,. I don't., i don't use my cutter only to cut clip art work , as we speak im making a design for a lamp, and maybe you are looking for some free vector art... so here is one for you i just made it right now , hope you like it

I don't consider myself a graphice designer at all . I have designed & made graphics , so I guess technically I am , but not in the real world accepted definition . If you think you are a graphice designer , you might reconsider based on what you have posted ...

I said exactly what you quoted which is " mostly all we do is decide what looks good and adjust with the software " , you replied " maybe you work like that , I don't " ... what do you do different :huh: I also don't just use my cutter to cut clip-art , I make stencils for sandblasting mugs etc

I am always looking for free clip art , I have about 50 X more than what you are trying to sell in the other thread already , but will accept " donations " :) .. btw , most if not all of that clipart is free here in the website & what is not free here in the website is available on the web . I have never been as optimistic as you & tried to sell on a website ...what I got free on a website . I am not thinking you are going to have a high success rate at that venture .

Is the free vector art you made for me & are hoping I like , the partial decal ( I can only see the left side ) :huh: Thanks , but don't bother to post the actual file , I can make that in a few seconds .

• Like 1

here you go...

WOW , When I looked at the 1rst picture , I thought somebody threw some liquid on your moniter & it was dripping down onto your keyboard ... I thought it was crap because of the brown color . I seen in the 2nd picture it was a compilation of text . What besides adjusting the software did you do to create that :huh: IMO that is just adjusting the stuff in the software until it looks good to who is making it .. is that what you consider graphice artist skill :huh: Anybody here could make that in a matter of minutes !!! I am not so sure my 1rst impression was wrong .

• Like 1

is made of paper is just a decorative item im telling rodger that the vinyl cutter is not only for making decals like he said, you can make a lot of things, which for some people is art. this other pic is the original art work.

Is assumptions were money , you would be very rich & not have to ask for donations like you did in the other thread .. I don't know of anybody who would not accept a donation , so don't feel alone , just most people don't pan-handle for them . I NEVER said that vinyl cutters are only for making decals , but all a cutter can do is cut what material you load into it .. vinyl paper , gasket material etc . I have a buddy who make gaskets with a cutter , I make sandblast stencils . There may be a language barrier thing that is effecting your comprehension , but don't put words into my mouth !!!

If I offended you with my humor in the other thread , I didn't mean to . Telling somebody " if youre are going for the money an not for the love of making some art is not right for you. " like you did in post # 7 is not good advice . Most people are looking to make some money & also enjoy some artistic creative feelings ... that is what i do . Not only will money pay for that cutter , repairs on that cutter & buying new upgraded cutters , it can pay for graphic designing classes where actual art can be learned to be created :) . Try to make alot of money !!!

• Like 1

Naaaaaaaa :angel: .

Edit : Get a 24" cutter , you will regret getting anything smaller . IMO , that is all you need unless constantly making bigger than 24" decals . Vinyl costs much more in that size & mistakes hurt more . You can make 24" tiles & make a 10' decal with 5 tiles . In the long run ,cheaper/more practical to outsource big decals if you only need something that big once in awhile , Consider outsourcing to a vinyl printer for stuff like that .

if youre are going for the money an not for the love of making some art is not right for you.

I make decals for the money ,money, money. That is what supports me and pays my bills. I love to make art for the money, money, money...and it sure works for me. I don't need donations, 'cause I'm making money.!! If I need supplies, I can buy them with the money I made. I actually save the money I make. I also have a backup vinyl cutter, if I would need it for some reason. It was purchased first, with the money I made. I made so much good money. I was able to upgrade to a professional vinyl cutter, a 30" Graphtec FC7000-MK75 in no time, because, I made money. This professional vinyl cutter has made me a lot of money. I am a Powerseller and Top Rated seller on EBAY. That means...I MAKE MONEY!!!!!...and it is RIGHT for me!!!! :DLMAO

• Like 1

That song WAS written for me.... LOL ..... I HAVE posted numerous times on here/ tips, suggestions, for people on how to make money on EBAY, or anywhere. I'm not going to do your job for you... try reading...

Here is a tip> Good money is in large decals, not trying to sell a decal for $2.00-$5.00..... I sell large full side vehicle decals. I don't have to sell 50 $2.00 decals to make $100. I only have to sell 1 set to make $100, which takes me 45-minutes-60 minutes to make a very detailed set. A lot of the designs are less time than that. I don't hurry, and take a lot of breaks. But I do sell some smaller decals to use up excess vinyl, left over from the larger order.

• Like 1

the only way you are going to make money on EBAY, or any other venue of selling,is to have a niche'.. Something, nobody else does. If you are doing what everybody else does, all you are doing is having a war on price. I am a Top rated seller because I provide great quality and service. I ship same day or next day depending on what time ordered during business days. ALWAYS!!!!

and when you can make unique items like this: You can make good money: Unique vehicle graphics is my niche' . I sell designs that others don't. And I am a 1 woman business, working from my home. I don't do signs or banners, or print. etc. I just do mainly what I would call cut vehicle vinyl graphics. And I do it well. I have no desire to go into anything else, just what I'm doing and keep adding to it. I have thousands of designs to take down and put something else up to keep rotating to see what sells. You have to give the customers a variety to choose from.

http://forum.uscutte...__fromsearch__1

Your welcome, Good luck... I hope you make some GOOD money, so you can get into a Graphtec or Roland......why think small.?..

It is a good thing to adjust perspectives after considering facts & other perspectives .