rainydaysunshine

Vinyl bleeding/running

The bulk of my decals go on semi trucks, the first batch of 8 that I did was back in March. I was informed yesterday that the yellow has started running when being washed. The others done after have not began running. I do have a call into the guy who washes them, to see if maybe they changed soaps or if he has noticed it on any of the other trucks I have done. It is just the yellow, which was oracal 751, and the yellow was very minimal as it was the top layer of 3. To tell how minimal, I was abled to put a two door, and two numbers on one 12x24 sheet. So far the bleeding has not caused any color changes in the yellow, but I dont know how long it will take before the yellow is white..lol..

Also, I did some neon orange numbers for an outlaw kart, a kart trailer, and a 2x2 decal for the back of the owners truck. I am not sure what kind it was, there are no markings on the back, I dont even know where I got it (the blonde in me..lol). The 2x2 on owners truck is no longer orange, its nearly brown. It has only been on his truck for about a month. Should it be sun bleached already? I know the neons don't last as long, but really a month? Can anyone recommend a neon that last longer than a month?

Anyone have any ideas on either?? TIA

Can you post pictures???

I havnt seen either of these, I am fighting the flu, I am sure. I just know what I am being told. The yellow only runs when it is being washed (power washed) So I am really leaning towards maybe he changed soaps, or ugg, I don't know.. I can get a picture of the faded orange, I am sure, but I dont know how well they will show. I will see if I can get one of the dispatchers to text me some pictures...

Odd that it would run, the pigmentation in say 651/751/951 is through and through... Hard to believe it would "run" at all. Might be just a bad batch of vinyl and need to call whoever you bought it from or your local Oracal dealer for a replacement roll. I know my local sign supply store said Oracal usually offered replacement material for folks who even found seams in their rolls.

As for the Neon, it is very possible they have used something to clean the vinyl with that has caused the pigment to be destroyed or discolored.... which I would almost test some of the material on your own on another vehicle to see.

Odd that it would run, the pigmentation in say 651/751/951 is through and through... Hard to believe it would "run" at all. Might be just a bad batch of vinyl and need to call whoever you bought it from or your local Oracal dealer for a replacement roll. I know my local sign supply store said Oracal usually offered replacement material for folks who even found seams in their rolls.

As for the Neon, it is very possible they have used something to clean the vinyl with that has caused the pigment to be destroyed or discolored.... which I would almost test some of the material on your own on another vehicle to see.

I have two pictures of the orange, one on the guys truck, and then one on his kart, both were off the same roll... The one on the kart has been on there since Feb or March, and like I said the one on the truck has been there a very very short time, I will ask the guy if he has cleaned it with anything.. And of coarse I cant really get a picture of the yellow running, but I will give my oracal guy a call... Thank you

post-20309-0-47440700-1320267740_thumb.j

post-20309-0-66796800-1320267755_thumb.j

I have noticed fluorescence vinyl seems to fade seriously within 6 months . Most of the specialty vinyl has a very short life outdoors compared to inside use . Red cinyl fades much more than other colors & i suspect yellow is not far behind . Power washing can cut into vinyl , I have 1 power washed that I carve stuff in wood with . Seems they would not use harsh chemicals to the painted areas , is the decals on painted areas ?

I am sure the kart gets stored inside & gets much less sun exposure than the truck does , even if he parks it in a garage .

I have noticed fluorescence vinyl seems to fade seriously within 6 months . Most of the specialty vinyl has a very short life outdoors compared to inside use . Red cinyl fades much more than other colors & i suspect yellow is not far behind . Power washing can cut into vinyl , I have 1 power washed that I carve stuff in wood with . Seems they would not use harsh chemicals to the painted areas , is the decals on painted areas ?

I am sure the kart gets stored inside & gets much less sun exposure than the truck does , even if he parks it in a garage .

The decals are on a painted surface... I will put another call into the guy that does the power washing, just to verify how he cleans these trucks and with what he cleans them with..I wonder, if the light was hitting it just right, could it appear that it was running? Just throwing stuff out there.. So on to an ethics question. The trucks that the yellow is supossedly running on have been on since around March. How long should I honor any kind of warrenty? I only had them sign papers saying that they wouldnt wash them within two weeks of application, cause I know the owner has a little OCD on his trucks. When they come in for the weekends they are washed and washed good.. When I get to feeling better, I will head over there, to take a look myself. Check if there is any fading on the yellow. It wont cost me anything to have to replace the yellow, but my time.. But I have done 24 trucks, and the thought of replacing it all kind of bores me, and whos to say that it wont do it again, specially if its something that the power washer guy is doing.... Any ideas??

The bulk of my decals go on semi trucks, the first batch of 8 that I did was back in March. I was informed yesterday that the yellow has started running when being washed. The others done after have not began running. I do have a call into the guy who washes them, to see if maybe they changed soaps or if he has noticed it on any of the other trucks I have done. It is just the yellow, which was oracal 751, and the yellow was very minimal as it was the top layer of 3. To tell how minimal, I was abled to put a two door, and two numbers on one 12x24 sheet. So far the bleeding has not caused any color changes in the yellow, but I dont know how long it will take before the yellow is white..lol..

Also, I did some neon orange numbers for an outlaw kart, a kart trailer, and a 2x2 decal for the back of the owners truck. I am not sure what kind it was, there are no markings on the back, I dont even know where I got it (the blonde in me..lol). The 2x2 on owners truck is no longer orange, its nearly brown. It has only been on his truck for about a month. Should it be sun bleached already? I know the neons don't last as long, but really a month? Can anyone recommend a neon that last longer than a month?

Anyone have any ideas on either?? TIA

Oracals neons tend to be better than others in my OP.None of them will last all that long..Might try laminating them and see if that helps.....As far as 751 bleeding thats a new one to me..Maybe others can chime in on that one..

Good luck

stetson5331

Have been told the detergents blended for brushless car wash application is rather caustic in attempt to cause tar and grime to release from a vehicle. If one uses this in a higher concetration than recommended, it will supposedly even cause light paint etching or scaling. Can only imagine what it might do to vinyl graphics. Perhaps you'd be well served to acertain what product and mix ratio this power wash guy is using and go from there.

I can tell you the answer you will get about the ratio .. " YES , I used the exact correct ratio " :)

I can tell you the answer you will get about the ratio .. " YES , I used the exact correct ratio " :)

:D That is exactly the response I got... He is washing trucks today, so I am going to go out in the bitter cold to see what he is talking about. I asked him about maybe sun glare or something of that nature, and he said he had to wipe the yellow off with a rag cause it was running down the door. Hopefully I can get some decent pictures to send to my oracal guy.. Thank you for everyones ideas and stuff. If I can get good pics I will post here too...