KarryWeaver

Don't even know where to start!

I'm hardly a professional at all. I'm mearly a scrapbooker who has learned she loves creating graphics and cutting vinyl. I've created a few handfuls of files for window decals and have gone to a few craft festivals selling my wares. It's really surprised me how well I've done and how much fun I've had. I want to do more!! Don't laugh, but I just have a Cricut Expression and SCAL. Obviously I need new equipment. My first choice would be a Graphtec, but that just isn't in the budget at the moment! $400 is the most I can spend right now. :( I've been stalking Craigs list...but I haven't lucked up. My patience is gone and I've decided I just need to go ahead and take a plunge into a lower end machine. I'm fine with that. It's not like I'm going to be asking a lot from my plotter. It won't be used daily or even as my main income. Just a fun past time to make a little extra Christmas money.

I'm so overwhelmed...there are just way too many choices out there and too many details to compare and learn about. The last thing I want to do it make a $400 mistake. I'm looking for around a 34" machine. (I would be happy if I found a used 24" nicer machine though. I'm not really picky.)

I've narrowed it down to the maybe either the USCutter SC Series or maybe the Refine GoldCut?? Yes/no? I don't know. Help me!! :D

Contour cutting, I don't really need it. My main priorities are speed and durability. The software, well, I use inkscape with SCAL already, so that doesn't scare me...not too badly anyway. lol

I really appreciate any input y'all can give me! Thank you so much!!

First thing I would do is find what machine works with SCAL if you still want to use that for cutting. I would look at the Refine. I would spend more on a better 24" cutter before getting less machine and 34" capability.

Jay

I never thought there would be another type of cutter compatable with SCAL. I'll look into that. I thought surely I would have to change software. That's something to think about. I definatly want the best machine I can afford, and I'm not even sure I would ever need a cutter as big as 34". Thanks Jay.

Thier website states it works with a variety of cutters:

Sure Cuts A Lot 3 has the same great features of Version 2 but includes support for a variety of electronic cutting machines. While version 3 does not support the Cricut™, it does support the following:

• Works with Craftwell eCraft
  • Works with Black Cat Cougar/Lynx
  • Works with BossKut Gazelle
  • Works with Pazzles Inspiration
  • Works with Silhouette SD
  • Works with USCutter
  • Works with Craft ROBO/Graphtec™ machines including Wishblade™ (Windows Only)

If you previously purchased Sure Cuts A Lot 2 and wish to use our software with a different cutting machine, you can upgrade to Sure Cuts A Lot 3 for free.

http://craftedge.com/products/products.html

I saw that! Wow! Thanks Jay. I hadn't been back to the Craft Edge website in a long long time. Pretty interesting. It's a free upgrade at that. I'm glad you shared that with me.

Every one already knows my opionion on these machine, Pcut is the best by far in my book.

I have the Laserpoint 24" and love it like mad.

I wouldn't trade it for a roland thats for sure, cuts anything I want it to cut, doesn't matter how small, and for the price you can't beat it.

I'm not to much on the refines, to many problems for my taste.

Anyhow, thats just my 2 cents, yours may vary heehee

• Like 2

I'm hardly a professional at all. I'm mearly a scrapbooker who has learned she loves creating graphics and cutting vinyl. I've created a few handfuls of files for window decals and have gone to a few craft festivals selling my wares. It's really surprised me how well I've done and how much fun I've had. I want to do more!! Don't laugh, but I just have a Cricut Expression and SCAL. Obviously I need new equipment. My first choice would be a Graphtec, but that just isn't in the budget at the moment! $400 is the most I can spend right now. :( I've been stalking Craigs list...but I haven't lucked up. My patience is gone and I've decided I just need to go ahead and take a plunge into a lower end machine. I'm fine with that. It's not like I'm going to be asking a lot from my plotter. It won't be used daily or even as my main income. Just a fun past time to make a little extra Christmas money.

I'm so overwhelmed...there are just way too many choices out there and too many details to compare and learn about. The last thing I want to do it make a $400 mistake. I'm looking for around a 34" machine. (I would be happy if I found a used 24" nicer machine though. I'm not really picky.)

I've narrowed it down to the maybe either the USCutter SC Series or maybe the Refine GoldCut?? Yes/no? I don't know. Help me!! :D

Contour cutting, I don't really need it. My main priorities are speed and durability. The software, well, I use inkscape with SCAL already, so that doesn't scare me...not too badly anyway. lol

I really appreciate any input y'all can give me! Thank you so much!!

Welcome to the forum!

There are some really good recommendations already here. USCutter machines and SignBlazer make a very capable combination!!

Since you are coming from the Cricut I thought I would offer this suggestion -take a look at the KlickNKut Zing - for $400 + shipping you get a machine that handles 15" roll vinyl and has up to a 14.5" cutting width. It works with roll or sheet vinyl as long as the width is at least 11" - for smaller pieces you would have to use the mat - but you already know how to do that from the Cricut. The Zing is also capable of cutting materials more commonly used in crafting-- thicker card stock and a greater variety of materials. I know you said you were looking for at least a 24" machine - I already have a 24" Copam and really like it - but am considering getting a Zing! just to have a portable machine. And nearly everything I cut can be done with 15" roll vinyl. For the jobs you describe the extra width might not be necessary -

You would get a free copy of Make-the-Cut! software -as far as I know it only works with this software - so might be a little learning curve - BUT it is GREAT software and the vectorizing functions are better than I have seen in any vinyl cutting program - even the ones that cost $$$$$ thousands of dollars!

Only snag is you would have new software to learn and the first production run of machines don't arrive in the US until after Nov 1st with shipping in the first half of November.

Here is the make-the-cut website the link to the Zing is near the top. You can download the software trial and see if it suits you or not - and look at the forum for more info and links to video and webinar recordings to find out more about the machine and the software.

http://make-the-cut.com/

-Mike

For 400 + I'd get the Pcut, alot better machine and plus the software IMO

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thank you Mike. That is a cute little machine. It does look extremely portable. I couldn't find any information though about how fast it was. I know KNK and Make the Cut both have really good reputations with scrapbookers! I had looked at the KNK Maxx once before. It's WAY out of my price range but I'm sure it's a good value.

For 400 + I'd get the Pcut, alot better machine and plus the software IMO

Hope this helps

Thanks! I'm still trying to decide. I have half a mind to just keep using the poor ol' Cricut just a while longer and see how much more I can save up. I do like the pcut and the laserpoint too. I really wonder though, how many $5 and $10 decals will I need to sell to save up enough for a zencut green. I am NOT sure my Cricut would survive that long. lol

I appreciate everyone's help!! I will make up my mind some day soon!! :-[

Have you used both machines?....

Why yes, yes I have, Roxy, have you?

• Like 1

I can't figure out how I do it, I just imagined using it and knew I just had the right answer wwwwwwwwhahahahahahah

PCUT RULEZ THATS WHY!!! heehehehehehe Now........... go AWAY ROXY! hehehe

• Like 1

Love the neg I got, just goes to prove that I gottcha hehehehehehe weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have to much fun! ;):D

• Like 1

Thank you Mike. That is a cute little machine. It does look extremely portable. I couldn't find any information though about how fast it was. I know KNK and Make the Cut both have really good reputations with scrapbookers! I had looked at the KNK Maxx once before. It's WAY out of my price range but I'm sure it's a good value.

Karry,

You are welcome. You will probably do OK with whatever machine you decide on. The Pcut has lots of loyal users and I think it offers a good value. Learning SignBlazer is worth the effort, it offers designing tools as well as cutting functions.

As to how fast the machine is there is a chart with comparisons of KNK machines - it shows the max speed of 600 mm per second (about 2 ft per second)

Equally useful is the built in extreme slow speeds - down to 1 mm per second. This range of speeds gives you lots of control.

I am just really impressed with the design efforts that went into the Zing. They worked with the MTC! developer Andy to make an easy to use, durable, accurate, powerful and versatile cutter. By bundling it with MTC! most of the "intelligence" needed to run the machine is built into MTC! This simplifies the machine somewhat and reduces cost. Using the laser alignment you can get accurate contour cuts. Andy tested by misaligning the material at a 45 degree angle Running the 3 point alignment gave an accurate contour cut under these extreme conditions.

The machine is similar in quality to KNK's other machines - they use a better grade of stepper motor (I think the Zing uses more improved stepper motors) and the operation is pretty quiet for a stepper motor machine.

All of the adjustments are made from within MTC! and you can name and save presets for jobs you do often so you don't have to remember that you cut SAY reflective vinyl with x downforce at y speed - just load the material and select a preset you have made and named "reflective vinyl" and all the settings will be those you have set to cut the reflective vinyl. You can set up as many of these as you wish. Some of other better machines have the ability to save a couple of setups like this I think Graphtec does this - if I remember right it has 2 custom setups? But with the MTC!/Zing combo you can have a custom setup for everything you do.

Of course I haven't used the machine - only a few machines are in the hands of developers right now. But it's on my wishlist.

Here is the comparison chart:

post-4062-0-26640200-1319246290_thumb.jp

I went from my Cricut to a 24" Laser Cutter (way over my head as far as software) I bought it new from US Cutters off Ebay! $290.00 plus $50 shipping. It has contour cut if I so desire to figure that out but for now I'm going to stick with simple vinyl decals. I love it, HOWEVER I still love and use my cricut for those small jobs and crafts, but I wouldn't upgrade your SoCal because ounce you do it will no longer work for your Cricut. SoCal version 2 will work with US Cutters so I would keep your options open as far as upgrading your SoCal. If you do upgrade you lose the capabilities of cutting what you would like on your Cricut. Also keep in mind purchasing a cutter with more features will give you options in the future if you ever decide to branch out.