jeff0246

10 Must have items for a newbie on shoestring budget...

I am new at this. I am jobless, and no real prospects in the near future. I had a cutter a few years back and did LOVE it, but did not have time to really put my heart into it. I used signblazer software, and had a small toolbox with assorted tools. I made a little money, but like I mentioned I did not have the time to market the business or really "work it" so to speak. Now I have the time (in excess,) and the desire, but lack the funds to spend even $1000, $2000, or more to get started. I have under $750 to get a cutter, some materials, business cards, and, well whatever else comes up. Here are my questions:

If you were in my situation what would you buy for a cutter?

What items, other than the cutter, would you buy to get started?

What program would you use?

I only know how to do very simple signs, so I am thinking of naming the business "Simple Signs" so I can focus on simple jobs that are quick, and easy... Labeling doors, windows, etc. Any thoughts on the name of the business?

Please no naysayers...I know some will be negative about the whole thing, but it is my only hope. There are no jobs here in Southwest Florida, and I am desperate :-[ :-[

I still use SignBlazer , it does everything I have needed or wanted . I bought a Copam & still think that is the best entry level cutter , but the P-Cut has done many people a great job . Call USCutter & see if they have deals on a returned unit no matter what cutter you decide on . They are personally checked out & better than a new unit IMO , plus cheaper . I think a name like " Signs Right Now " or something that denotes immediate service would get you more business . There are a few negative members here , but thankfully very few .

I still use SignBlazer , it does everything I have needed or wanted . I bought a Copam & still think that is the best entry level cutter , but the P-Cut has done many people a great job . Call USCutter & see if they have deals on a returned unit no matter what cutter you decide on . They are personally checked out & better than a new unit IMO , plus cheaper . I think a name like " Signs Right Now " or something that denotes immediate service would get you more business . There are a few negative members here , but thankfully very few .

Gonna be tough at that budget....but.....

as far as cutter goes I agree with Rodger, call and see what you can do...

you need to find a supplier....Grimco, Tubelite and Fellers are all awesome and will run a truck to you weekly (or more often if you pay for it) so find one of them close to you....

buy coroplast in full sheets and cut it yourself....

even though it is more expensive at the start buy 15x50 yards of vinyl of base colors...definitely white and black

buy a yard sign size big squeegee

the small blue economy 3m squeegees

transfer tape....rtape is affordable and works well

my advice is to spend the few extra bucks and buy good vinyl as opposed to el cheapo

• Like 1

Great Great info so far!

Thank you Mr. Karma!

Thank you Rodger-I agree on the name as well!

Thank you to both of you! ;D

If you are on a tight budget rolls of 651 in red and black and some banner blanks (and a few supplies)....You can get coroplast at most lumber yards 1 sheet at a time and cut it...When money permits rolls of 751 (for cars/trucks) in white and black.....I tend to sell a lot of banners because I "promote" them and because I have a 35.00 minimum on signs so I chase small orders away....But if you have time on your hands you can sell small signs for 15.00+ and it will help you make ends meet.....Good luck....

• Like 1

Great Great info so far!

Thank you Mr. Karma!

Thank you Rodger-I agree on the name as well!

Thank you to both of you! ;D

:D:thumbsup:

Thank you so much Roxanne! Great info and suggestions! Can you give me some advice on chasing banners? I am planning on going business to business offering my services. Any thoughts? :huh:

I'm new to the vinyl cutting thing, but I can offer advice based on starting other business. Buy the best you can afford. It's hard to start ANY business on a budget of $750, but if you have to, you have to, and people have been successful with less. Having just made the purchase of a cutter and some tools, I honestly have no idea how you'll make it happen on $750, but more power to ya! By the time you get a cutter, some vinyl, app tools, various supplies and set up a work area, even with an inexpensive cutter, you're going to be stretching your budget.

My favorite tools with my limited experience is the standards. Cutting and weeding tools, squeegees, etc. I like having a light box, and you can make one inexpensively. Lighting. You need good lighting, it wasn't long before I learned that the light fixtures in my office weren't good enough. Get some cheap clamp on flexible arm spotlights for your bench. I have 2 on My 8' bench and wish I had bought 3.

One more thing, if I were starting a new business on a real tight budget, only being able to do simple jobs, I wouldn't aim at business to business sales starting out. Businesses will generally have larger more complex needs, and/or tighter deadlines. I'd start smaller and simpler and work up to B2B sales. You don't want to jump in to big stuff, not be able to need the demands and start out with a bad rep in the community.

Good advice superbike. Thank you. What would you start out with exactly? I guess I am just unsure of how to get business except for B2B/knocking on doors at businesses. I would love your advice. Thank you kindly.

I started with, and still using, a MH-365 cutter. I found a MH-721 on Craigs List for just over $200 for larger work. I work at vinyl and etching as a part time Hobby/Business. Start out selling graphics to friends and neighbors. Talk it up wherever you go. I have sold many items from just talking with my barber, Dentist, Club members, etc. Don't be afraid to give out some small samples of your work to owners of small stores. You'll get practice and you will get your foot in the door. As was said before, start with small items and work your way up to larger jobs. Don't rush it!! Whatever you do, Honesty IS the best pilicy. Good luck.

That is great advice as well. I am thinking if I make some small samples to "get" my foot in the door it may be a great ice breaker when doing b2b. I hate to give stuff away, but maybe it would be worth it to get some interest. I like the honesty part...Thank you

Good advice superbike. Thank you. What would you start out with exactly? I guess I am just unsure of how to get business except for B2B/knocking on doors at businesses. I would love your advice. Thank you kindly.

I'm in a sort of different market, so I'm not sure what you'd start with. My cutter is a supplement to an existing business I already had, I'm not marketing signs or anything like that. I would guess the place tomstart would be small stuff. Those stickers soccers moms buy to show everyone what sport little Connor plays comes to mind. And stick figure families. Stuff that people buy, but there isn't any pressure. If I was just starting out and could only do simple designs, the last thing I'd want would be companies coming to me for graphics only for me to tell them it's too big or complex. In almost any industry, you start small and work up to large business to business stuff. If you just started a plumbing company, it would be better to spend time doing residential stuff rather than try to plumb a steel mill.

If you screw up a minivan window sticker, no big deal, you cut another. If you screw up a big window sign for a coffee shop, you wasted a lot of time and vinyl. Not to mention you look bad to the guy who owns it. Which can cost you business.

Not that I'm an expert, but that's how I'd be looking at it if I were starting a full time vinyl shop.

That is good advice, thank you superbike. I am thinking maybe I could rent a table at a local flea market and make some signs etc to sell and do some custom work while there...It is only $200 a month and may be a great way to get some work...any thoughts anyone? I am in Florida, so the heat is oppressive. It is an under-cover flea market, and I might be able to get ac and a small enclosed space...

Thanks