Nitsuj

Layering in Inkscape

I'm having trouble achieving something in Inkscape. I want to create a 2 color layered graphic. I've seen all the vids one actually assembling the graphic with the registration marks. What I'm having trouble with is, how do I create the graphic, then separate the parts I want in one color from the parts I want in the other? I can ungroup them, but the other graphics will still cut. And how do I get registration marks on both sets of colors in such a way that they allow me to line up my colors. I'm not even sure if I'm making sense! If theres a video or written tutorial out there that anyone is aware of, clue me in.

Thanks!

What cutting program are you using? If you are using sign cut or sign blazer, you can choose each color seperatly to cut at the cut screen. Also you can ungroup and drag the colors you don't want to cut out of the workspace box (in inkscape) and send each one to the cutter seperatly that way. I don't use the marks to line up but use a home made light box for most multi-color graphics. Hope this helps.

In my cutting program, if you stack 2 of the same object of different colours on top of each other in illustrator, when you select each colour to cut, each will have the same object....

I'm using Inkscape with Signblazer. I can also use Corel and Master Cutter. Which ever will do what I want. I'll give an example in case I'm not describing it well. Look at this graphic:

6119249798_ca973b1c17.jpg

Ok, take away the black background. Lets say I want to do a sticker with the red text and the white text. How would I do it in any of my programs so that the red text cut with some sort of registration mark, and the white would print separately with a corresponding registration mark so that I could combine the two different texts on my transfer tape and they would line up and look like the finished product above.

And before you suggest it, yes, it would be a simple thing to cut them both separately then line them up by eye during installation. But it's not just about creating the above sticker. I want the knowledge to do this on any 2 color graphics.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I'm advanced enough of a user to completely follow that video. I don't suppose you have one more aimed at a small simple child? ;-)

Edit: I take that back. I think I figured it out! Awesome! Thanks!

Only problem is, it cut both graphics at the very edge of the vinyl, so there wasn't room to combine them on the backing of either. If that makes sense. I think my technique could use some refining.

Only problem is, it cut both graphics at the very edge of the vinyl, so there wasn't room to combine them on the backing of either. If that makes sense. I think my technique could use some refining.

set an origin point with more space at the beginning of the vinyl. Don't start at the very edge. If that makes sense. If I understand your question.

set an origin point with more space at the beginning of the vinyl. Don't start at the very edge. If that makes sense. If I understand your question.

I think you understand my question. I'm pretty sure my origin point wasn't at the edge. I think I had a setting goofed up in Signblazer. I've been practicing. It's getting better, but I'm wasting a lot of vinyl. I guess it's all a byproduct of my being new at this. I'm going to have to burn some vinyl to get better. Next, I'm going to try to edit some of my existing eps files to cut them as 2 layer.