muppetrabies

Anyone have problems describing vinyl to people?

I've got a printing business and have started to ad simple vinyl (coroplast road signs and lettering) to my list of things I can do. I'm still no professional and know my limits! I've got samples up in my store which usually get me a handfull of questions each day.

It seems as though I can't get my customers to understand what vinyl really is. They will give me a full blown color logo and want me to cut it. I try to explain vectoring, but find myself becoming very long winded and just get blank stares in return. Also, when cutting the stuff I can, I find people just telling me to cut it "about the size of a poster board" and I try to explain that I need exact dimensions and again, blank stares. Anyone else have these problems and if so, have an easy way of explaining it to customers so they can understand?

When you explain things to people they don't understand or have any experience in , it is easy to loose them . if you are explaining 10 parts & they get stumped at part 2 , they don't even hear parts 3- 10 . they are trying to understand what you meant at part 2 still . So keeping it short & sweet is the best option . Nobody understand everything & all of us get stumped on some things .

When you explain things to people they don't understand or have any experience in , it is easy to loose them . if you are explaining 10 parts & they get stumped at part 2 , they don't even hear parts 3- 10 . they are trying to understand what you meant at part 2 still . So keeping it short & sweet is the best option . Nobody understand everything & all of us get stumped on some things .

What did you say??

What did you say??

I must have lost you at point 1 , I recognize that blank stare ... I typed as slow as I could , so I don't know how else to explain it simpler ....:)

I'll try better puncuation ...

When you explain things to people ( that ) they ... don't .....understand or have any experience in ,,,,,,,, it is easy to loose them . If you are explaining 10 parts & they get stumped at part 2 , they don't even hear parts 3- 10 . They are trying to understand what you meant at part 2 still . So keeping it short & sweet is the best option . Nobody understands everything & all of us get(s) stumped on some things .

Okay, but where's parts 3 through 10? :blink::bear:

Hey Bear :D

I think there is only 1 or maybe 2 points in that :) .... How many parts are in your reply & could you explain :huh:B)

When I was installing septic systems , I would go thru the explanation of how a septic system works . Many people thought they knew how a septic tank works ( septic tank , a drain field or drywell , distribution box are the basics ), but VERY few actualy did . I would start eplaining , but would stop when I seen the look on thier face that the OP called the blank stare . No need to further confuse them until they understood what was said up to that point . I drew alot of pictures & it was only a matter of how the solids were kept from going into the drainage part .It was like explaining a foreign launguage , even if some understood , many of those would forget & have to ask again days later . Some of the most simple & basic things are confusing when totally new to some people .

I've read a lot of posts that could benefit from a good septic system :P

I think my post was #3 1/2

If you ever get the urge to install a septic system, come visit me! All I can promise though is a lot of rocks and good coffee (and dark chocolate ;D ).

sorry for bringing up a 2 month old thread but i was reading this and it made struck home. Whilei havn't met anyone that didn't understand vinyl, most people don't understand glass etching. I mostly use my plotter for etching glass and people don't understand it AT ALL. The first question they ask is if it will wear off. I explain that i don't put anything on the glass, that im actually taking material off the glass. Think of it like tiny scratches in the glass, you can't rub a scratch off. The next question they will ask, immediately after is if i can do it in color. Its like... "apparently you don't understand what a scratch is" I have one guy that i've basicly shown him the entire process, start to finish, and he still doesn't seem to comprehend it