Sign in to follow this  
go hodags

Am going to buy a cutter, advise would be appreciated

Hello all,

I have decided I am going to buy a cutter and do some work on the side, with hopes of going full time in the near future.  I am looking for advise as to which model cutter would be best for my application.  I don't know that I will need a contour cutter such as the laser point, because I won't be printing stickers (unless someone has a cheap alternative to the real expensive printers, but that's another topic).  With that said, should I go with a PCUT or CoPam?  How often is a 48" cutter needed, or is 24" more than enough? 

I will listen to all suggestions, I am just trying to get what I need and not be disappointed that I didn't get enough machine to start with.

Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many more questions in the near future.

Bart

Guest fivestar

From everything I have heard, if I was to buy one today it would be a 24" copam.  They are built like a tank I guess.  I've got the refine 24" and have never needed anything bigger then that.

I have a refine 24" and a Seiki 36". I use mostly 15" rolls,sometimes 24". BUT I keep rolls of the basic colors (red,black,blue,green,yellow) that are 30" so I need the bigger cutter. I find that so few people use the 30" rolls that I can usually get them cheaper than the 24 inch rolls. Besides,I have done a few banners that required lettering 28 inches tall.

A 48' cutter,IMHO would be both a waste of money and a waste of space. If US cutter had offered a 36 inch refine when I bought mine,I would have had the 36" over the 24"

Just my 2p worth.

I bought my 24" PCut in November and I am very happy with it.  I've not had any problems at all with it and it does a great job on cutting t-shirt and sign vinyl. I loved the price too as compared to other brands.  This is all new to me so I am still learning but loving every minute of it.

Best of luck to you.

Rose  

I bought the 24" Copam in December and have been extremely happy with it (still deciding on what I prefer in vinyl though)  I think 24" will do most of what you are looking to do.

Good luck in whichever unit you choose.

Jenny

thanks for the advise so far.  I am excited to get this project underway.  to follow up on the other question I had in the original post, In order to make true "stickers" with graphics printed on it, do I need a real expensive printer, or do laser printers do that to? 

Thanks again

Bart

You need a real expensive solvent printer to print on vinyl, there is some vinyl that can be printed with an normal inkjet but not for outdoor use.  There is a pretty long thread somewhere on the forum about that.

I have a 25" Refine.  I have needed bigger but only once so it would not have been worth the extra expense of the machine and vinyl to go bigger. 

I got the 25" PCut and love it -- I guess the best advise I can give is get the best cutter you can afford, and have space for!

If I were to do it again -- knowing what I know now - I would get the PCut 25" again!  :yes: