BearlyRich

Easyweed, how to tell when it's too much?

After trying out my first t-shirt, I learned quite a few things about using Siser Easyweed. And one of the most important things was how it looks when it's not pressed enough. I could only get my press up to about 290 degrees the first time around.

I did manage to "adjust" the press and can now get up to maybe 325 if I had to, so the recommended 302 is no longer a problem. I repressed the graphic and it then looked very good with the texture of the cloth showing in the vinyl (this was fairly rough cloth). It made it through a wash and still looks good so I think it worked.

But this made me wonder what happens if you press too much, or at too high a temperature? How can you tell when it's gone a bit too much? I'm guessing that way too much would melt the vinyl (but could be wrong there too).

So I thought I'd ask here as someone out there must have over-pressed Easyweed and knows what happens?

Thanks for any info...

After trying out my first t-shirt, I learned quite a few things about using Siser Easyweed. And one of the most important things was how it looks when it's not pressed enough. I could only get my press up to about 290 degrees the first time around.

I did manage to "adjust" the press and can now get up to maybe 325 if I had to, so the recommended 302 is no longer a problem. I repressed the graphic and it then looked very good with the texture of the cloth showing in the vinyl (this was fairly rough cloth). It made it through a wash and still looks good so I think it worked.

But this made me wonder what happens if you press too much, or at too high a temperature? How can you tell when it's gone a bit too much? I'm guessing that way too much would melt the vinyl (but could be wrong there too).

So I thought I'd ask here as someone out there must have over-pressed Easyweed and knows what happens?

Thanks for any info...

I've pressed Easyweed at 375 for 10sec with no problems...

MM64 B)

Nice to know the 325 my press can reach won't melt it. Thanks.

I suppose I'll have to run another test and just keep pressing it until it's ruined so I can see what happens...

Pressing too hot causes the adhesive to "ooze" out around the edges of your design....Also it causes adhesive and material to become harder than is typical.....This can sometimes lead to premature failure of the material.....Get a hand held infrared thermometer and get your temperature correct for best results....

Thank you Roxanne. Maybe Ash was wrong about you after all ;D

Measuring the temp is no problem, and I have to do it because my old press has no indicator. Just a dial with relative temps around it so I have to set it with a thermometer.

And now I definitely have to try over pressing something just to see it ooze :P

Bear , Bear , Bear .. don't you know LOVE & HATE are 2 sides on the SAME emotional coin :huh: I know they are not that emotional ... but they do like to spat often ;) . Both are good members & fun :thumbsup: Roxy is MUCH better looking & would be my choice to be on a deserted island with , if I faced that choice between the 2 ....... :angel:

• Like 1

Thank you Roxanne. Maybe Ash was wrong about you after all ;D

Measuring the temp is no problem, and I have to do it because my old press has no indicator. Just a dial with relative temps around it so I have to set it with a thermometer.

And now I definitely have to try over pressing something just to see it ooze :P

Ahhh Roxy's cool.... me and her are just both head strong and opinionated heheheeheh :thumbsup:

In that case, when I decide to run off to a deserted island, I'll give Roxy a call :lol:

Ash, you headstrong? Nah, I don't believe it! :P

Nice to know the 325 my press can reach won't melt it. Thanks.

I suppose I'll have to run another test and just keep pressing it until it's ruined so I can see what happens...

I followed the instructions that came with my roll, which indicated 305 deg F for 15 seconds.

Following instructions is never any fun! So far I've pressed at 325 for 1 minute and a half and still not ruined the vinyl. This is tuff stuff! And fun to play with ;D

Guest matt72

how to you remove sisser easy weed from shirt if you forgot to weed it out or is the shirt wasted..

I thought there was a recent thread about removing bits of easyweed but I couldn't find it. I did find this one though:

Good luck!