Sign in to follow this  
edge

Laser illumination?

Do I have to manually illuminate by some means unknown to me the laser for a contour cut? I

Laser should be on when you turn on the cutter. Might be a loose wire, or the laser having an issue.

Received your reply today. No apparent loose wires internally. Where do we go from here? I left my phone number on your tech voice mail system should you be willing to call me, as unlike your phone mine hardly ever rings busy.

Ken, I've lost the laser again, just as mysteriously as it appeared. Turned the cutter on and had it, advanced the carriage to enable changing blade cutting depth, made that adjustement, returned the carriage to index and laser stopped functioning. It seems likely the problem is in a harness somewhere, but nothing is obvious to the eye.

We need to discuss replacing this cutter, please give me a call.

With regard to the Laser Point Cutter I purchased from you on 1/11/08. Please issue an RMA for return of purchase price. I've dinked around too long trading emails with Ken over this cutter being received without a working laser. Add in the frustration of NEVER being able to make any contact other than voicemail at US Cutter in any of the many calls I initiated, coupled with Ken's reasoning that I should bear the expense both ways to replace a cutter received defective, causes me to question purchasing this cutter. Had you delivered a working cutter to me, then perhaps this would be an issue worth debating. As much as I desired this cutter to perform the task of contour cuts it is currently worthless to me without a laser.

Ken, I've submitted another service ticket with the pertinent contact information you requested.

I will look for the ticket today.

As for the expense of sending the unit back, it is not my reasoning, it is what your limited warranty states. Just like the low-cost eMachine computers, if you have to send the unit back, you are responsible for the shipping. That is what keeps the cost of the units down. We would much rather send out a part to resolve the issue.

If you were the only customer calling, I am sure I would answer the phone, but you are not. When you call and get voicemail, it means I am one the other line with another customers, or away from my desk.

Always happy to assist, but I am the only one.

:lol:

Just to be sure we're clear on this. The cutter was delivered to me without a functioning laser.

So what you are saying is because our price is so low, the consumer is assuming all risk that our product could be delivered in a nonmerchantable condition and if so, the consumer should expect to pay more than the initial purchase price to obtain a merchantable product?

This is not open for debate, it is simply what our policy is. I did not make the policy, but I do have to go by it. I hope you can appreciate this.

Let me clarify some points:

1. The machines are tested before shipping.  It is likely that any damage occurs due to being mishandled during shipping.  We do not think it is best to ship a machine back and forth thereby turning one shipment into three and further increasing the risk of damage.  Shipping the machines is very expensive, so we generally try to fix warranty issues by sending out parts and offering phone instruction on how to replace parts. In this case, we didn't have parts on hand due at the time of issue, but as soon as we received parts, we would have sent them out. I am sorry that we did not have parts available, we usually have parts on hand, but this is an unusual circumstance. In this case, the machine was still functioning as a vinyl cutter, and it is only the laser that was not working.

2. eBay orders are handled differently than web-site orders. eBay buyers tend to value low cost above all else so we have listed our auctions accordingly.  We are very clear about our terms, and we take a hit on price due to those terms being less than ideal for consumers.  It is only fair that since you receive a lower price that you accept the terms that we have clearly identified. In the event of a problem, we still offer the customer a means to repair the unit without incurring high cost as long as they are willing to spend some time.  If you prefer no risk, then buy through our website - you get the added bonus of a longer warranty.

3. Another reason that we have those terms is because some customers have little patience or understanding of how to connect machines.  If we were to offer more lenient terms, a customer's first reaction upon not being able to make a proper serial connection would be to ask for an RMA.  These terms give the customer an incentive to work with us to find a resolution.  In the vast majority of cases, we resolve the issue without problem and the policy helps us cut down on costs substantially.

We really do offer a better product at a better price than all of our competitors.  We also offer you the choice to decide whether you prefer to accept some risk for an even lower price.  I would prefer to be able to offer the best customer service to all my customers, but unfortunately we are in a business that is driven by volume, and some tradeoffs have to be made.  That said, we continue to build an infrastructure to better serve our customers.  Our product, service, and support will only get better over time.  I am sorry that we let you down.

Hi Edge,

Just out of curiosity...did you get your laserlight problem fixed?  I know it has been way over a year but I was just wondering if you had the same problem that I did.  That problem being that the brown wire connector that the white ribbon cable plugs into was not making good contact.  It was hard to see in the beginning because I didn't know what I was looking for but when the light went completely out It was more easily spotted.  I got a new laser light assembly but that didn't fix the problem so I put some pressure on the brown connector and then it worked.  Mine wasn't soldered into place and that allowed it to move and misconnect.  (is "misconnect" a word?)  anyway, I have been toying with the idea of soldering it down myself so that I don't have this problem in the future.  What do you think? 

If you did something else to fix your problem, I would appreciate it if you would tell me what it was.  If you did not get your problem solved, maybe this will help you. 

I know it is soooo annoying to buy something only to have it be a disappointment. 

I hope you can reply.

Thank you

Bonnie

Kansas City, MO