vinylmotivations

Debating a lifetime license...

How many folks use one themselves?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What, if any licesne for signcut do you have?

• I have a lifetime dongle....
    • I have an extended 4 year license
    • I renew my license yearly
    • I go month to month
    • I use something else because of cost
    • I use something else because of performance/options

I am debating buying a lifetime license for signcut... however I have a few concerns. I use 2 computers for my business, possibly soon a 3rd so a dongle version is a no-brainer.

What happens if the dongle becomes lost or damaged? Is it possible to order a replacement or continue using the software somehow?

How big is the dongle? Refer to the above question.... I lose things, but also use a laptop so too big is a bad thing.

How does updating work? Just download and go? or do you have to update the dongle in any way should an update be released.

Can it be registered to a company for use, as my brother and I are partners in the business?

I would probably buy from USCUTTER's website sometime in the next few months so I am just researching options. I have a copy of FlexiPRO 8.1 and it works, just it seems overly complicated since I am accustomed to designing in Inkscape and saving things in SVG rather than EPS/PDF.

Also have read from folks on here that support is slow to answer questions/problems etc. Running a business, I can't afford to wait several days for an answer should a problem arise.

I also am running a brand new Dell i15R laptop with an i5 proc, 6gb ram and windows 7 x64 ultimate.... am I going to run into any compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Signcut is a totally different company then USCUTTER. and have their own support. A dongle is a USB flashdrive with your password to match your USerID. You would be best to go to the signcut site and direct your questions there.

• Like 1

I do realize they are diffrent companies. However, USCUTTER sells the lifetime dongle on their site as well. Since I have purchased from them before, I would feel more comfortable with that.

My purpose of the OP was to get other peoples point of view that have used it, also assuming at some point Kimon will chime in- seems like he drops by here once in a while and is important in the signcut world....

you might have better luck by sending Kimon a PM, unless you are in no hurry, as he has not been in the forum since March 11, 2011,

Thanks for your help skeeter.... I was kind of hoping I would get more of a response to the poll from other members :( Guess no one is big on voting.

Hi,

If you lose or break the dongle you can order a replacement one, for a small fee plus shipping, or we can convert your license to the traditional internet-based authentication. Feel free to contact support@signcutusa.com if you have any questions!

Hello Sparky,

And welcome to stumble to this or any other forum where people use Signcut in one way or the other?

Are you Kimon helping out or just bashing around in your free time on the forums? :-)

I know you said your a programmer.

Is there ever been a poll request for people to add USEFULL function to SCP2?

Or has that been raised somewhere else?

Maybe an idea to do this before the release of the new version instead afterwards.

Regards, a happy SC user.

@CRD -

I was actually just looking around on Google in a spare moment. I don't have much contact with Kimon. But I did notice that this forum was basically neglected so I thought I would jump in.

I am not sure what you mean by a poll request, but if you have some recommendations or requests for new features, you're welcome to share them. I can discuss anything like that with the other engineers.

I am really hoping the new version is more stable.... I have heard a lot of folks and experienced a lot of crashes myself. Also the export plugin would be even better if it would auto open signcut if its not running and actually import the graphic instead of having to initiate the import manually each time (sometimes several times as it doesn't alwasy import correctly the FIRST time.)

SignCut Pro has the possibility of being even more powerful than it already is... I know I am holding off buying it at all to see what the new version brings for better or worse.

Sparky,

One thing that I find strange that in the western regular world we design from left to right and read too that way.

If we stand in front of a plotter we look from .............yes left to right.

However in sign cut you have to turn your head to make sure what was on your screen in for example coreldraw will be plotted in the same orientation.

There is an otpion to rotate and even automated by a check box when the file is imported but we still keep looking at a screen that no corresponds with the design screen.

Sounds strange and if you change this some oldies will have problems but new users will understand more easily what is going on.

Does this sound strange for an engineer?

I know from experience as engineer myself you have to think as an end user who does not understand and technical design.

What do you think?

Paco

Sparky,

One thing that I find strange that in the western regular world we design from left to right and read too that way.

If we stand in front of a plotter we look from .............yes left to right.

However in sign cut you have to turn your head to make sure what was on your screen in for example coreldraw will be plotted in the same orientation.

There is an otpion to rotate and even automated by a check box when the file is imported but we still keep looking at a screen that no corresponds with the design screen.

Sounds strange and if you change this some oldies will have problems but new users will understand more easily what is going on.

Does this sound strange for an engineer?

I know from experience as engineer myself you have to think as an end user who does not understand and technical design.

What do you think?

Paco

That layout behavior confused me at first, too (I've been working here only a short time, I'm not the original software author). But you can rotate the view for a more 'natural' view. However, the design seems very logical if you think of it, from a cutting perspective. Consider standing like so:

------

Plotter

-----

You

Then, you feed in vinyl from the left, and the result comes out to the right. Just like how it's shown in SignCut!

Hi Sparky,

Understand your thinking, but still disagree. :lol:

But that is my personal opinion.

Paco