Sign in to follow this  
9edriver

Static? USB? Hopefully a simple fix

I just received a LP24 last week and I'm having some issues with the cutting. I have cut some files and they turned out great, but when I try and cut out the same image multiple times during one cut job it will do 2-3 fine and then it will stop and the blade will return to the origin. Also it will make cut lines where it should be jogging from one location to another to start cutting again. Seems the blade is never lifted between cuts. Seems random on where and when it happens.

After some searching around on the forum two of the most common issues involve static electricity and USB. I've ordered a USB-> serial converter (they're all the same, right? Or do I need a specific one?) and plan on adding a ground wire from the bottom of the cutter to the stand. Is there anything else that could be causing these problems?

On an unrelated issue, on the stand for the cutter the brackets that hold the rollers seems too close together. I have to stretch them apart to get a roller in and after it is installed the brackets cause too much friction and the roller won't turn. Is this normal, or did I assemble something wrong. Thanks for any info...cant wait to get home tomorrow and play some more.

Is your paper binding in the front of the machine? When you have cuts in the wrong area on multi cut jobs... I had that problem if I started the vinyl origin near the front edge of the vinyl. If I advance the vinyl 5" (to the underneath side of the front of the cutter)... it quit doing it. I put some tape over the gap in front and now I don't have that problem.

What OS are you running? I have an LP 24" connected via USB on a win 7 machine with no problems. Did you check to see which comm port your cutter is connected to and put that setting in SBE / Signcut?

Something sounds funny with your stand assembly. Can you post a pic of it?

I just received a LP24 last week and I'm having some issues with the cutting. I have cut some files and they turned out great, but when I try and cut out the same image multiple times during one cut job it will do 2-3 fine and then it will stop and the blade will return to the origin. Also it will make cut lines where it should be jogging from one location to another to start cutting again. Seems the blade is never lifted between cuts. Seems random on where and when it happens.

After some searching around on the forum two of the most common issues involve static electricity and USB. I've ordered a USB-> serial converter (they're all the same, right? Or do I need a specific one?) and plan on adding a ground wire from the bottom of the cutter to the stand. Is there anything else that could be causing these problems?

On an unrelated issue, on the stand for the cutter the brackets that hold the rollers seems too close together. I have to stretch them apart to get a roller in and after it is installed the brackets cause too much friction and the roller won't turn. Is this normal, or did I assemble something wrong. Thanks for any info...cant wait to get home tomorrow and play some more.

your not stating how many decals you are trying to cut at one time,or how big, but you may be cutting too many and filling up the memory, Also between cuts, turn your cutter off and back on, so it dumps the data from the previous cut. The value cutters are limited on memory, and YES, definately get your cutter grounded to the stand, before you fry the motherboard with static. And a KEYSPAN ADAPTER (USB TO SERIAL) is recommended, that is the brand name

• Like 1

I had this issue with mine for a bit.... try this if you have a large piece of paper.... like a brown paper bag or something and your pen tool. load up the paper and the tool, then hit the online button.... press the mode button until you find test- then press online. It should write a bunch of well placed circles and squares with lines and some text that says test mode or something of that nature....

Try this. If it works- its something to do with the communication on your machine. I found out that I had a bad serial to usb adapter that I got on amazon just a month prior. Went to Radioshack, bought a new one and was cutting again in an hour!