How are the laserpoints compared to the refine?

Is it a better cutter? I know it is a manual contour but it has the laser where mine does not.

Any thoughts would be great.

Is it a better cutter? I know it is a manual contour but it has the laser where mine does not.

I LOVVVVVVEEEEE MY LP24 IT ROCKS MAN!

Don't know about the refine, but I wanted to do contouring a little now and then!

I'd get the LP24 if I were you though. Make sure to get the keyspan with it as well

I've had mine for almost 3 months and already made my money back twice with it. It's fun to use as well!!!

Hope this helps

Heya StLouisTech,

I considered a Refine, Copam and LP24 when looking for a cutter, and I went with the LP24 for the contour-cutting feature. I do a ton of contour-cutting now, and I am very happy with it! I've easily made 2-3 times the cost of this thing and it's an amazing cutter for the price.

I use SignCut Productivity Pro for all my cutting and there's a nice tutorial here for contour-cutting with that software and the LP24.

If you have *any* inkling that you want to do contour-cutting with a budget cutter, you can't go wrong with the Laserpoint.

Thanks for the comments, I currently have the refine and have had it for months. I am wanting to contour, I know it is a manual process, but the laser would be nice to have.

Thanks for the comments, I currently have the refine and have had it for months. I am wanting to contour, I know it is a manual process, but the laser would be nice to have.

You're welcome. The LP24 is manual in the sense that you have to align the laser by eye, but the Graphtec, although it senses registration marks, is very finicky about how you place letter-sized paper and I don't know how well it would automatically register specialty mirrored vinyl (which I use a lot). On the LP24 you can have your paper rotated 45 degrees and as long as you register 3 points, it works! So in a sense, the manual alignment has benefits, though probably not as good for huge amounts of contour-cutting on nice white paper with full contrast reg-marks.

Once you get it down, it's awesome on the LP24. The one thing I want to get tho is a head-mounted light so I can align my laser without needing 3 hands hehe.

The one thing I want to get tho is a head-mounted light so I can align my laser without needing 3 hands hehe.

Plz explain this to me like I'm a kindergartener.

Plz explain this to me like I'm a kindergartener.

With my LP24 on the silver metallic vinyls I often contour-cut with, the laser 'dot' can blur a bit, so I use a mini flashlight to help me see my alignment of the laser point's dot on the vinyl. Trouble is, I need my hands to adjust the keys on my USB keypad to jog the laser to where I want it, all the while holding the flashlight and trying to hold the vinyl against the roller for an accurate alignment. Having the light mounted on a headband would make this much easier. :D

41F4CRzIb4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey NUK, I use a desktop book lamp and mounted it to my machine, don't have to put in on my head then weeeeeee ehheeheheh

I love this stuff like mad! :thumbsup:

I LOVVVVVVEEEEE MY LP24 IT ROCKS MAN!

Don't know about the refine, but I wanted to do contouring a little now and then!

I'd get the LP24 if I were you though. Make sure to get the keyspan with it as well

I've had mine for almost 3 months and already made my money back twice with it. It's fun to use as well!!!

Hope this helps

Sorry still have the newbie blues, but what are you referring to "Keyspan"

What is a Keyspan?

Thanks

Tomasb

This is a keyspan, it connects via usb if you dont have a serial port. Please don't buy a cutter without one http://www.uscutter....keyword=keyspan If you do you'll have problems if yoiur using usb to connect to your computer

The shopping cart where you buy your cutter from on uscutter.com will give you the option to purchase one of these

Hope this helps

This is a keyspan, it connects via usb if you dont have a serial port. Please don't buy a cutter without one http://www.uscutter....keyword=keyspan If you do you'll have problems!!!!

The shopping cart where you buy your cutter from on uscutter.com will give you the option to purchase one of these

Hope this helps

Thanks

Guess I have to order one. Didn't get one when I purchased my LP24.

:)

Thanks

Guess I have to order one. Didn't get one when I purchased my LP24.

:)

You already have an LP24? Is it connected via usb?

You already have an LP24? Is it connected via usb?

Yes it is connected via USB.

I am another LP24 owner with a Keyspan. While US Cutter reports no issues with the USB connector, and they're probably right, I find that the Keyspan offers the secure screw-in connection of a serial port with the ease-of-use with USB. Love it!

@Ash: Good idea on the clip-on light! I found a cheap head-worn light for like 8 bucks on Amazon. It'll make me feel all science-y when I do my contour-cutting hehe.

I am another LP24 owner with a Keyspan. While US Cutter reports no issues with the USB connector, and they're probably right, I find that the Keyspan offers the secure screw-in connection of a serial port with the ease-of-use with USB. Love it!

@Ash: Good idea on the clip-on light! I found a cheap head-worn light for like 8 bucks on Amazon. It'll make me feel all science-y when I do my contour-cutting hehe.

Yeah, thought that was a great idea man! Although, with my luck I'd be looking in the machine and the cutter would grab me and have a little head bobb'in contest with my teeth chattering the full length of the machine heheheeh :blink:

Does it have to be that one (uscutter/Keyspan) or would another brand work as long as it is a serial to USB converter?

Ok, on this forum alone, I've seen people use cheaper keyspans.... guess what..... more problems. Guess it's like the old saying, "You get what you pay for". Take my advise on this and get the one from US Cutter, you won't regret it. I've had mine on 3 of my laptops, 2 desktops. Flawless, absolutely flawless!

Hope this clears things up for ya

With my LP24 on the silver metallic vinyls I often contour-cut with, the laser 'dot' can blur a bit, so I use a mini flashlight to help me see my alignment of the laser point's dot on the vinyl. Trouble is, I need my hands to adjust the keys on my USB keypad to jog the laser to where I want it, all the while holding the flashlight and trying to hold the vinyl against the roller for an accurate alignment. Having the light mounted on a headband would make this much easier. :D

41F4CRzIb4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ahhh ha! I got a clip on light that I can clip on to a ball cap for christmas. So I'm already ready already (at least on this front).

This isn't the exact one, but fits the general idea.

http://www.amazon.com/MasterVision-1001-LED-Cap-Light/dp/B001BDK4X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299771156&sr=8-1

Man, that thing looks like a 747's approach lights hahaahahah Should see every little thing.

Good post!

I always carry a 6 LED flashlight in my pocket . I wind up holding it with my teeth when I need both hands . I have all sorts of hats with built in lights & lights that clip on the hat's visor , Lights with magnetic bases , clamp on lights etc ... but they are seldom with me when I need them . I have a Dewalt snake light that works good for stuff at home .

Speaking of snake lights, I came in the other day and the boy was suppose to be sleeping, turned the light on in his room, his head popped out from under the cover and had my snake light wrapped around his neck reading a book eheheheh KIDS!

:D

Ok, on this forum alone, I've seen people use cheaper keyspans.... guess what..... more problems. Guess it's like the old saying, "You get what you pay for". Take my advise on this and get the one from US Cutter, you won't regret it. I've had mine on 3 of my laptops, 2 desktops. Flawless, absolutely flawless!

Hope this clears things up for ya

Thanks I'll order shortly :)