Sign in to follow this  
Benr98

Electric Car?

Anyone have anything neat that is of or about electric cars??

Thanks

Guest Terry

I have seen two electric cars and did not know it, one was even an MG. The only way you could tell was when you lift the hood or trunk... It had batteries, yes both on the road driven. They are building one now thats sharp, it looks like a Ferrari and it plugs in to charge at the gas cap, open gas cap lid and plug in. Both would smoke the tires from a stand still.

One I know of is the Tesla. One of my friends spent some time in Europe setting up a Engineering Data Mamagement system for them. 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds and it looks sharp.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Guest Terry

Thats the one, it plugs in under gas cap. I was thinking it looked like a Ferrari, but thats it. :you rock:

Well when they bring down the base price from 92,000 maybe it would help the rest of us!!!  :lol:

My husband would love to build an electric car to get out of having to pay high price for fuel.

If any of you have seen a large enough 'Plug in America' logo, please let me know.

Thanks.

Jenny

Now if they would just make them affordable we would all buy one!

They will never be really affordable by US makers as long as the OIl companies are in bed with the car makers. WE could have had 80mpg cars years ago. Oil companies don't want them.

WE could be running our cars on corn oil now at $1 a gallon but it ain't gonna happen.Oil companies rule

For those who don't know,the Deisel engine was originally designed to run on vegetable oil..

John,

I agree 100% with you.  I believe the EV1 vehicles that use to be out there, would still be around...but well....I have my own opinions on that.

But I thought diesel trucks were suppose to originally run on the 'junk' that was left from refining oil??

Internal combustion engines

An external diesel fuel tank on a truck in India.

Diesel engines are a type of internal combustion engine. Rudolf Diesel originally designed the diesel engine to use vegetable oils as a fuel in order to help support agrarian society and to enable independent craftsmen and artisans to compete with large industry.

Diesel demonstrated his engine at the Exhibition Fair in Paris, France in 1898. This engine stood as an example of Diesel's vision because it was fueled by peanut oil - the "original" biodiesel. He thought that the utilization of a biomass fuel was the real future of his engine. He hoped that it would provide a way for the smaller industries, farmers, and "commonfolk" a means of competing with the monopolizing industries, which controlled all energy production at that time, as well as serve as an alternative for the inefficient fuel consumption of the steam engine. As a result of Diesel's vision, compression ignited engines were powered by a biomass fuel, vegetable oil, until the 1920's and are being powered again, today, by biodiesel.

Thanks for the history lesson BannerJohn. The longer I read the forums the more I learn, and not just about vinyl.

you must constantly exercise the 'little grey cells' to keep them it tip-top shape.

Back in my drinking days I never had to pay for a drink on 'Trivia night' at the local bar.

John,

I agree 100% with you.  I believe the EV1 vehicles that use to be out there, would still be around...but well....I have my own opinions on that.

But I thought diesel trucks were suppose to originally run on the 'junk' that was left from refining oil??

Guys - I worked on the EV1 program - Nobody was hiding anything  - the vehicle leased as a 30K car, the batteries were 2K a piece and there were 26 of them. You do the math. With that Nickle Metalhydride pack (which was the extended range pack) you could only get maybe 120 miles on a charge, if you wend down hill alot! Battery technology has been the big hinderance of the electric vehicle - customers want an affordable vehicle that will get them atleast the range and ease of use that they have with their gasoline engines today.