Sign in to follow this  
vinylmotivations

Lasepoint plotting issue cut, scratch some then cut some more.....

I have a laserpoint 24 and it seems to cut great, however sometimes for an inch or five.... it just scratches the vinyl... pressure is good because it cuts completely just fine normally... and after a bit it will continue just fine. Sometimes it will do this for a whole decal too in a set of 5 or 6?

I have a laserpoint 24 and it seems to cut great, however sometimes for an inch or five.... it just scratches the vinyl... pressure is good because it cuts completely just fine normally... and after a bit it will continue just fine. Sometimes it will do this for a whole decal too in a set of 5 or 6?

does it keep happening in the same spot on the multiple decals? how is the cutting strip?

Plotter warranty start date is October 2010 so its fairly new.... doesn't happen on same spot it just seems to be completely random. Cutting strip seems to be ok. For example I cut 6 3 color decals for logos on a buddy's company truck, not one issue.... then I cut 12 memorial decals and the whole run of 6 (second row) was un-weedable and junk. Upping the pressure just ends up cutting the backing.

I had dragging problems too until I got it dialed in right. I've found a pressure of 120 with the blade exposed about a credit cards thickness to be just right.

Wow buddy what are you cutting?;D?    Blade depth shouldn't be more than half a credit card and at that with oracal 651 @ 100 for pressure- I STILL cut the backing once in a while when I'm switching colors. I think I found the issue though. I had a crack in the top of my carriage head. It finally broke all the way and I have it temped up with epoxy.

seem to be having this issue again... cutting 3x3 medallions for hard hats, cut 6 fine, the last 4 I needed of 10 were just mereley scratched on the vinyl and coul not be weeded :angry:

Did the OP ever resolve this issue? I am starting to have the same issue, but mine is only the left side looking at the machine. Say I am cutting (3) 6" decals part of the 2nd and all of the 3rd is scratched, but the first on is cut fine. I checked the cutting strip and it does not look to be raised or lowered.

I would start by inspecting and cleaning the blade and holder. The blade should turn freely in the holder.

Make sure you are using a sharp blade.

Set your blade depth according to Mz Skeeters oft-published directions.

Try slowing the speed...