frogwash

Overlaying colors.. Video? hints?

I am just getting started and have done a couple jobs..  The very 1st job I did was 4 - 8 to 9 foot signs that tested me...  They came out just great so I feel I got lucky..  I just landed another client that wants to outline green text with of  trim all around the outer edge.  I have not overlaid vinyl as of yet and thought I would try to get a couple of hints here...  It wouldn't be so bad if they were small pieces...  but of course...  they are about 6 feet long!  Anyone have any tricks to register the 2 layers?  Has anyone used water in between 2 layers of vinyl then squeegie the water out?  IHas anyone seen a video on YouTube showing this teqnique?  Could really use some help with this one!!

Thanks all

There are a couple of layering videos in our Instructional Contributon section. Not sure if they cover sectioned layering for a project that large, but you could use the same idea. A long ruler would be helpful as well.

Guest fivestar

I would definitely recommend doing them wet.

Would you also suggest I overlay the 2 layers before placing them on the substrate (window).  I am just going to have about 3/8" of a border around the outside edge of the letters in gold.  I did notice when offsetting my image to get the base layer that the outside of the letters are still getting cut.  Is this going to be a problem as far as any shrinkage later?  ie..  the green letters are the body of the text...  the gold is the 3/8" outline around the text.  The software I am using (signblazer e) actually cuts the outline 3/8" offset from the edge of the green letters but also cuts the letter image out too..  My understanding is not to weed out the letter from the gold material.  Just overlay the green on the gold.  So I assume you can use the cut in the gold to line up the green letters?  (rookie here)

thanks

Guest fivestar

No don't layer them before you put it on the substrate, put the gold layer on the window first, squeegee it to remove all water and peel of transfer tape, then wet down the window and gold vinyl peel backing off of other layer and wet it down and apply it to the gold.

As for the outline cutting, I'm not familiar with sign blazer, but you "should" be able to cut a "full" outline so there is no cuts where the overlay is going to be.

I hope this makes sense.

If someone out there is using SBE and has cut overlays...  Is the only option I have is to have a double cut as I stated a bit earlier?  Or is there a way to not an outline the exact size of the text?