dtfastbear

What should I do to get started with my cutter?

I'm very excited - I've got a PCUT 25 on the way!  I've ordered a sample pack of vinyl (5 colors) and some application tape.  I've already downloaded the trial version of SignBlazer Elements and went through most of the tutorial.  My reason for getting the cutter is to do race car graphics for my own race car and for my friends'

So here's my question...  what sort of small projects or trials should I undertake to get me "legs under me" on the full process from design, cutting, weeding and applying the vinyl?  Can you recommend any good web resources (tutorials) that I should be looking at?  Is there a vinyl cutting equivalent to the computer programming "Hello World" program?

Any advice for a newbie is appreciated!

Cheers,

Dean

Guest fivestar

Designing, cutting, weeding and applying the vinyl is basically trial and error.  Just remember you're doing everything in layers when you are doing multicolors.  I use Corel Draw to design most of my stuff then I export it as an .eps file then I use flexi to cut it, but sign blazer is pretty much the same thing from what I have seen and read about it.

get on YouTube, do a search for vinyl cutter,or any combination of those words. There are LOTS of videos on different things.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  The youtube tip is pure gold!  Signwarehouse's videos alone will be a huge help, but that looks like just the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks again!

Dean

As mentioned... practice.

I'd recoomend starting out just doing plain text, and simple shapes to get used to weeding, applying the application, and finally installing the vinyl. If you plan on doing race graphics, most likely they will be huge cuts, so you'll need to know how to apply the vinyl using the "wet" application. Practice with scraps before attempting the real thing. And an extra pair of hands or 4 would really help.

Good stuff!  Thanks for the links.  All of these have been helpful, and I'm fired up to get the cutter in the next few days...

Cheers,

Dean